Motherboard Doesn't Power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have this motherboard whose identity I havent yet been able to discover but basically it doesn't power up. It has a P-iii 450MHz CPU and I have verified that the CPU and power supply are good. What I found was that the power LED would glow and the CPU power fan would rotate for a 3 seconds. I took out the CPU and the LED/fan were on for 5-6 seconds longer but then went dead. Problem with the capacitors ??

What could be wrong ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thankx

Make sure the PSU is connected tightly to the motherboard. If that is a loose connection it could be getting some power, just not enough.

BTW,
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Originally posted by leolite1
Hi,

I have this motherboard whose identity I havent yet been able to discover but basically it doesn't power up. It has a P-iii 450MHz CPU and I have verified that the CPU and power supply are good. What I found was that the power LED would glow and the CPU power fan would rotate for a 3 seconds. I took out the CPU and the LED/fan were on for 5-6 seconds longer but then went dead. Problem with the capacitors ??

What could be wrong ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thankx

leolite1,

Did you ever find out what was wrong? This EXACT thing happened to me. The PSU was connected just fine. I even installed a new one to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. I put the old mobo back in and IT worked too. I see no obvious cracks or anything on ths brand new socket 370 Soyo mobo.

Any help from anyone appreciated.

KenRyan

do you have the CPU fan connected to the proper connector(some boards will refuse to boot or even power up if there is no fan connected to the CPU fan Connector, it is a safety feature) Are you sure the power button header is properly connected?

No Power to Mobo?

Originally posted by StormBringer
do you have the CPU fan connected to the proper connector(some boards will refuse to boot or even power up if there is no fan connected to the CPU fan Connector, it is a safety feature) Are you sure the power button header is properly connected?

StormBringer,

the computer was working fine in the afternoon whenI installed it. I loaded all the drivers, etc. Everything was cool until I decided to pull the mobo up and add a couple of screw posts under it where it was flexing, and then added a new soundcard. When I powered up after that, I got like 4 beeps, and then nothing. the only thing that happened when I hit the ppower button was the fan spun for a few seconds and stopped.

KenRyan

Sounds like you may have shorted with one of those extra posts or cracked the board in handling. Have you checked for shorts near those posts?

Originally posted by Masque
Sounds like you may have shorted with one of those extra posts or cracked the board in handling. Have you checked for shorts near those posts?

Masque,

what would I be looking for? How can I check this?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back