Motherboard power connector

Hello everyone. I seem to be having a rather simple yet immensely frustrating issue. I'm building a computer, i plugged the power connector on the mobo, turned it on and bam, it worked.

Great right, well today i came home from work and it would not work. So i opened the case up and took out the power connector, after inspecting both ends i put it back in, fans started and the motherboard light came on but only for a second.

After fiddling with it some more i found that the only time my mobo gets any juice is when i put the connector from the power supply in just exactly the right place in the motherboard connector.

If i push it all the way in, i can hear an odd whining noise from my PSU. Like a gnat in your ear. I'm not sure how long the motherboard will stay on, as my hands are not steady enough but i know the times have varied. Any opinions? I have a corsair cx500 and a biostar ta880GB+ if that helps. Thanks!

Just checking but did you also plug in the P4 12V ATX connector on the motherboard?

Yes i did plug that in. I've been googling the **** out of motherboard power problems and i haven't found anything like what i am experiencing. The pins all look factory, i can't find a reason why it won't stay on. I'd hate to replace the PSU and find out it was the mobo or vice versa. Anyone with any answer at all please give me some lovin'.

it sounds like (from the fact that wiggling it) will power it on or off that it is one of two things.
1) you have a bad pin in the 24-pin ATX connector. check for a damaged pin inside the plastic connector, or one that is pushed in further than the others.
2) the connector on the motherboard has broken loose from the board. that will be a little harder to detect. look for broken solder joints on the back of the motherboard, and inside the connector for bent or malformed pins as well. I would not keep moving around though. if this is the case, those arcs its making are not regulated and it can(and probably will) damage or fry things.

10-4, I'll take the mobo out and look at the back. The pins all look solid, so maybe it popped a solder joint on the back. I know biostar isn't the best quality, so i'm sure that's probably the culprit. It's my weekend so i'll have lots of time to work on it. 6 days a week with twelve hour shifts i haven't had much time to work on this. Will post back when i've removed and checked the mobo. Thanks for the reply.

good deal. If the 24 pin ATX connector the MB rocks or wiggles at all, that's not good. so if it does , that's the problem. Let me know what ya find.

It's solid and in place, all the soldering on the back is a-ok. I'm thinking that possibly i may have fried the cpu, that's the only answer i can come up with. Either that or i need to reapply the heatsink. Post back tomorrow when i go and get some thermal gel. I already have some on there but i need some more to reapply.

I found the problem. Somehow i had bumped the power switch on the motherboard. Why it would power up at all i cannot fathom. Anyway i simply hit the switch again and it stayed on. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me! I'm not sure how to mark a thread as resolved or if i can, but it's resolved. Lol thanks again.

Back