Motherboard recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to the insides of computers and i'm going to attempt building one (dont worry, a tech friend is going to help me out:)). Anyway, i was wondering about gaming motherboards / CPU's. I've got no idea what people consider a good gaming motherboard or why, for me, I usually just pick a more expensive one and am done with it. The purpose of this motherboard/CPU is to successfully dual log two accounts of DAoC with little to no trouble. I have around 600ish dollars to do this, but I was trying to save a bit for a new video card or ram.

Any recommendations would be awesome!!!

Thank you,
Qtali/Mordrinn

edit: some grammatical mistakes.

64 bit AMDs are pretty good for games, you should look at something like a 4200+ and a Gigabyte K8NS-Pro SLI you could pick them up for under 300 easy.

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

We need a bit more info on what needs to be included in your $600 budget. Is that the budget for mobo/cpu/graphics/ram, or just the mobo/cpu?

Anyways, I'd say if it is a gaming machine you are building, you'll probably want to look at the core 2 duo cpu/motherboards. Dark Age of Camelot doesn't really require that high spec of a system, so you COULD go cheaper and build yourself a nice 939 based system (or AM2) but if you have the cash, you may as well future-proof yourself and get the core 2 duo.

mobo recommendation

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

The 600 dollars I want to spend solely on the motherboard and processor. It'd be nice to "future proof" my computer as you said because I like to game, and these days games require good systems. I currently play dark age of camelot (DAoC), and the main reason I want to do this is to successfully run two instances of DAoC. It's pretty heavy on the multitasking, my current processor can barely handle it.

So any suggestions on motherboards/processors would be sweet!!

Thanks again,
Mordrinn

Okay, I would go with this:

Something like a 680i or a 775X motherboard (that supports quad core for future proofing) and then a Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (2.4 Ghz, 4mb cache).

The FX-60 is a waste as the cheapest C2D, the E6300 Conroe for ~ $200 beats it and the FX-62 by a large margin (when OC'd of course but that too is awesome. It can be OC'd to 2.5GHz with stock cooling from it's original frequency of 1.83GHz! And it's actually stable at that OC'd frequency!). So the Core 2 Duo is the best option by far. Also, the nForce 590 Ultra chipset is pretty good and much less pricier than the 680i, so I suggest going for that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back