Motorola Moto X Style/Pure Review: Solid hardware for a great price

Scorpus

Staff member

Of the three smartphones Motorola has recently launched, the Moto X Style (or Moto X Pure Edition for those in the United States) is the device with the best hardware. It’s the true flagship successor to last year’s Moto X, and with a price tag starting at $399 unlocked and off-contract, Motorola is positioning this device very strongly in a market crowded with high-end handsets.

The Moto X Style isn’t a small device, packing a 5.7-inch 1440p display on the front. Motorola has taken a leaf out of LG’s book in opting for Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 808 SoC over the hotter and more power consuming Snapdragon 810, alongside 3 GB of RAM and a 3,000 mAh battery. The same Moto features from the previous-gen model also return, including Moto Display and always-on voice commands.

Motorola has also been putting a lot of effort into their camera offering, which has been a low point of their previous flagship smartphones. The Moto X Style features a huge 21-megapixel sensor coupled with an f/2.0 lens, 4K video recording and new camera software, which promises to be a much better shooter than in the 2014 Moto X.

Read the complete review.

It sounds OK. The next time I'm in the market for a big screen TV I'll be sure to check this Motorola job out. ;)

Last edited:
It sounds OK. The next time I'm in the market for a big screen TV I'll be sure to check this Motorola job out. ;)
Haha, comment of the year right there.

I've got one, and after using it for less than two weeks, any other phone feels tiny.

I put the moto x up against a oneplus one, and the OPO is larger, despite having a 5.5' screen!

I've got one, and after using it for less than two weeks, any other phone feels tiny.

I put the moto x up against a oneplus one, and the OPO is larger, despite having a 5.5' screen!
I was kidding. I like the phone but it's just too big for me. 5" is ample for me.

I was waiting for the new products Motorola was going to release, this phone is a really good phone, I really like the design and the features Motorola has included. Since I recently bought a Moto X (second gen) I'll skip this one for now, but among Android developers, I think Motorola has the upper hand.

The screen to bezel ratio on the Moto X Style is great, feels a lot better in the hand than a OnePlus 2.

But I do understand it's a pretty large phone.

The screen to bezel ratio on the Moto X Style is great, feels a lot better in the hand than a OnePlus 2.

But I do understand it's a pretty large phone.
As I said I like it. I was playing around with the Play model (pun not intended) a few weeks ago and that is a mere 5.5" device. I liked it as well but I could tell it wasn't for me because of it's size, it felt big in my hand. It is good value for money though. **Sigh** If only they made a minuscule 5" Moto X Style/Pure or Play I'd be all over one of them come December.

Last edited:
The Moto X is a good phone and it may well be worth $399, but $399 is not a "great price". It's still far more than you need to spend to get a good phone 150 for a new 2013 Nexus 5 (which I bought a few months ago) was a great price, or close to it... and $189 for a Moto G is a very good price.

I don't know if I could go back to a smaller screen. Mine is almost 1/2" bigger @ 6.1" LOL
I bought it almost 18 months ago as a joke, while waiting for the illusive "OnePlus One invite"
which came about 10 days after I bought the Huawei Mate2. I went ahead and bought/sold the
OnePlus One, but kept the Mate2 because it was just as fast (even though it only has a 720p screen
and a snapdragon 400) as the OnePlus, and, didn't have the yellow screen, goofy camera bug and other things that needed multiple software updates, and the Mate2 had 2 things going for it. The 6.1" screen
and the 4,050mAH battery. It's nice to get though 2 full days of use on a charge. I'm not into games or watching movies on my phone. I use it as a phone, web, email, text, mp3's and a few youtube videos.
I'm also more into function, over style, so it really doesn't matter to me what it looks like, as long as it
works. I had a Sony-Erikson S710A, back in the day which people looked at me strange, when I swiveled
it open, but, it WORKED for my needs.
I think the mid-range market will really take off. Only thing good that came out of the whole Oppo/OnePlus crap was it got the attention of a few more players in the mid-range phone spectrum.

I don't know if I could go back to a smaller screen. Mine is almost 1/2" bigger @ 6.1" LOL
I bought it almost 18 months ago as a joke, while waiting for the illusive "OnePlus One invite"
which came about 10 days after I bought the Huawei Mate2. I went ahead and bought/sold the
OnePlus One, but kept the Mate2 because it was just as fast (even though it only has a 720p screen
and a snapdragon 400) as the OnePlus, and, didn't have the yellow screen, goofy camera bug and other things that needed multiple software updates, and the Mate2 had 2 things going for it. The 6.1" screen
and the 4,050mAH battery. It's nice to get though 2 full days of use on a charge. I'm not into games or watching movies on my phone. I use it as a phone, web, email, text, mp3's and a few youtube videos.
I'm also more into function, over style, so it really doesn't matter to me what it looks like, as long as it
works. I had a Sony-Erikson S710A, back in the day which people looked at me strange, when I swiveled
it open, but, it WORKED for my needs.
I think the mid-range market will really take off. Only thing good that came out of the whole Oppo/OnePlus crap was it got the attention of a few more players in the mid-range phone spectrum.
The big screen works for you, nice. I like reading on big screens but I find the devices to big & bulky to comfortably wield about and there's nowhere to conveniently put them in my car whereas a 5" device fits comfortably in a drinks holder. Mind you that's a poor excuse, I tend to ignore my phone while driving so shoving it the door pocket or cubby hole will do me fine.

The Moto X is a good phone and it may well be worth $399, but $399 is not a "great price". It's still far more than you need to spend to get a good phone 150 for a new 2013 Nexus 5 (which I bought a few months ago) was a great price, or close to it... and $189 for a Moto G is a very good price.

You get a lot more when you spend the extra cash on a Moto X over the Moto G or Nexus 5. Both those devices are great value for money, but so is the Moto X Style considering its hardware.

Wanted: Moto Pure with 5" 1980x1200 screen with AR control (the real estate would actually be Usable for uhmm, web pages, ebooks, 4:3 photos.. on and on, and AR control allows me to watch turret-movies and ignore the wasted space at the left and right of the screen when shot far enough back so that you can see the focus of the action without cutting off the top and bottom - I hate 2.40 aspect).
All else is fine, as the battery will Last now, particularly with the snap-app.
So close-still waiting for a corp (Moto) to step up and deliver useful rather than "oh, we got that Too."
I.e., please take 500ppi battery hog screens out back and Shoot 'em.

Back