Motorola unveils Moto 360 smartwatch powered by Android Wear

Shawn Knight

Staff member

motorola android wear-powered moto

If you’ve been waiting for a smartwatch with a bit more style and class than the current crop of devices offers, Motorola has you covered. It’s called the Moto 360 and is powered by Google’s Android Wear, the company’s brand new mobile operating system for wearables.

As the name suggests, Android Wear is a modified version of the search giant’s existing mobile OS. It’ll be heavily based on Google Now voice recognition technology and will also focus on health and fitness tracking – a market that’s expected to explode in popularity in the coming years. The goal of the project was to create a consistent experience for smartwatches running the OS.

Motorola said the timepiece, which will feature a rounded face and premium materials, will notify users regarding e-mails, calls, upcoming meetings, the latest social posts from friends and family and more through subtle alerts.

Based on published images alone, the Moto 360 is easily the best looking smartwatch to date IMO.

Early Android Wear hardware partners include Asus, HTC, LG, Motorola and Samsung while Broadcom, Imagination, Intel, MediaTek and Qualcomm have all been tapped as chip partners. We’re also hearing that Fossil Group will deliver Android Wear-based watches to the market later this year. A developer preview is available for download as of writing.

Motorola said the Moto 360 will be available in a variety of styles globally this summer. No word yet on pricing, however.

Permalink to story.

Looks beautiful, nice to see a smartwatch actually received from input from a designer. :)
But a focus on health and fitness? BP and pulse maybe, but people will feel foolish wearing such a nice watch in a fitness center. Not to mention, if that band is metal it's going to be heavier than a serious runner would want to put up with. And you can't easily see seconds without a large digital display. Maybe I'm missing the point, but it doesn't strike me as a fitness gadget. Perhaps fitness is just the most applicable feature of a smart watch and they didn't want to go without.

I'll be much more inclined to purchase a smartwatch in the future if they keep on making watches that look at least as nice as this. considering how most are... we'll see how long that takes.

Looks great. This is a smartwatch I am actually thinking of buying. Too bad it is probably not going to be compatible with iOS.

Looks far better than those hideous monstrosities that other manufacturers are throwing in our faces but I'm really not interested in a device that is more worried about my health than I am, in fact I'm not sold on the idea of wearable devices at all but with the smartphone market busy stalling tech manufacturers have to come up with alternative ideas to stay in business, lets if these wearable devices catch on like the smartphone.

Casio called ... they want there watches back....

Everyone in the video looks like an 80's flashback right down to the music....

BTW, so do the watches....

pass :p

1) Battery Longevity
2) Brightness of the Devices
3) Heat production from the brightness and increased battery usage etc...

Some of the issues that need to be improved (but of course everything starts small initially).

Looking forward to the day where I can have a torch, fully functional GPS, calling an so forth on these devices. Durability is a huge key factor as well. Wearable tech is one of the future elements and most people will be using them within next 10 years. Phones are great, but these gadgets can be literately life saving as well. Imagine having your phone fall out of your pocket in the Wilderness or what not, however you still have your watch which is fully trackable around the Globe, making your rescue fast and accurate.

Tldr: Gimmick at this moment, a very important part of Human life in future.

Anyway, awesome, might get one.

Back