Mouse/'dead spots' on desk

GNS1310

I have a Logitech Performance MX mouse. It's maybe a year old...actually it's 7 months old today as a matter of fact, just looked it up.
I have a spot on my computer desk where I've always used the mouse. It seems like it's creating 'dead spots' where the pointer will kind of hesitate on screen and I don't get the precision I'm used to. Works well in other areas of the desk, but not as great and precise as it once did. Plus, I can't get used to having the mouse there. I've cleaned the pads of the mouse, cleaned the desk, put in a brand new fully charged NiMh battery...any other suggestions?

I'm also wondering about range. I wanted to plug the tiny usb connector into the back of my tower, which is maybe 3 feet away from the mouse, but it doesn't register well at all...if I plug it into a front usb slot, which is only maybe a foot closer, it works fine.

The mouse USB tx/rx adapter supplied with these mice is very short range, and plugging into the back of the tower forces the signal to go through the metal case of the pc, reducing the strength. If you have a USB extender (plug to socket) lead you could run it over the top of the case towards the front, tape it down so it doesn't move. Found the same here, and don't want to use up one of the front USB sockets for the mouse.
Regarding mouse tracking, it's far better to have a plain colour under the mouse, a light colour. Any picture on a mat is a problem to the detector, and the best results I have found is the cheap round white mouse mat from IKEA. (50p I think.)

Back