Mouse freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDJD

I'm sure this is a common problem for all pc users but I'm curious about it for it is happening a lot to me as of late.

Is there a specific reason for, way to prevent or even way of minimizing the freezing up of my mouse cursor and hence my operating system?

Or is this just a necessary evil of using pcs?

I have a Dell 4550 with XP.

About 6 years old.

Another note: Dell has never been forthcoming when it comes to RAM. Your system only came with 256MB of RAM. This is not enough to run Windows XP well. Have you ever added ore memory in the 6 years?

When the system freezes, do you reboot, then work for a while? If so, this most certainly points to insufficient RAM. Rebooting frees up the RAM used.

This may be covered in kimsland's references, but it's an obvious place to start.

Thanks a lot for these links kimsland.

I just had a question about the drivers.

Are you saying that I should download all these drivers or just the the ones that have a date after the purchase of my dell?

Another note: Dell has never been forthcoming when it comes to RAM. Your system only came with 256MB of RAM. This is not enough to run Windows XP well. Have you ever added ore memory in the 6 years?

When the system freezes, do you reboot, then work for a while? If so, this most certainly points to insufficient RAM. Rebooting frees up the RAM used.

This may be covered in kimsland's references, but it's an obvious place to start.

Thanks for your input bobbye.

No I have never added ore memory...How do I go about doing so?

Since you brought this up...What's the correlation between the 256mb of ram and around 60 gigs of memory I have?

Sorry I know this is basic stuff...But what does having 256mb of ram mean in terms of the overall operation of my pc?

I know it's possibly not exactly required. But I recommend downloading all of them, then extracting them (pretty sure Dell make a C:\Dell extracted folder, when doing this).

Then save the whole folder, or extracted drivers to CD, then go to Device Manager (Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc) Right click on each device and point it to the CD (with all your drivers now on)

This way, you confirm all drivers are updated :) And you also have a backup of them, in case of re-install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back