MSI intros GT780DX with 1080p screen, SteelSeries keyboard

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although MSI's GX780 received a lot of positive attention when it was unveiled in April, many would-be customers criticized its 1GB GeForce GT 555M graphics chip. The discrete solution is undoubtedly a step up from Sandy Bridge's integrated engine, but it can only deliver modest frames when playing modern games on high or ultra quality (~30 frames per second or lower in most titles tested by Notebookcheck).

Quelling those concerns, the company has introduced an updated version of the machine with a speedier GPU. The GT780DX sheds Nvidia's GT 555M in favor of the new GTX 570M, which carries over triple the CUDA cores, has a higher graphics clock, a broader memory bus and more VRAM. According to Nvidia's published 3DMark Vantage scores, the GTX 570M effectively doubles the GT 555M's performance.

Additionally, it seems MSI has streamlined the machine's storage options. Instead of an array of mechanical drives, systems will come with a 500GB or 750GB 7200RPM HDD alongside a 120GB Intel SSD. Other core specifications remain unchanged, including the Core i7-2630QM processor, 17.3-inch 1600x900 or 1920x1080 display, a DVD or Blu-ray drive, a 720p webcam and the usual cornucopia of connectivity.

The recycled specs also include SteelSeries' gaming-oriented keyboard, which includes LED lighting that can be configured in various color schemes. Beyond the eye candy, the keyboard offers improved tactile feedback, an ergonomic "golden triangle" gaming cluster, support for 10 simultaneous key presses (presumably limited to gaming-specific keys), and a durable design in case you're prone to rage-induced tantrums.

Permalink to story.

True... the Geforce GT555M might be useful in a 15.6" laptop, but for a 17.3" mammoth with a 1080p screen and a gaming oriented purpose, it was barely acceptable...

Cueto_99 said:
True... the Geforce GT555M might be useful in a 15.6" laptop, but for a 17.3" mammoth with a 1080p screen and a gaming oriented purpose, it was barely acceptable...

I agree.

A quote from expert reviews ... ' UK availability and pricing has yet to be confirmed, but initial indications are that MSI is aiming at the top of the market with the high-end models expected to reach around £2,000 at retail.'

£2,000 = 2,800$ ?? Lets say that will mean it is 'slightly less expensive' than many other similar offerings. I wonder if TS will be reviewing this notebook in near future, because I'd really like to know how long this beast will last on batteries, may be 45-50 minutes ??

True... the Geforce GT555M might be useful in a 15.6" laptop, but for a 17.3" mammoth with a 1080p screen and a gaming oriented purpose, it was barely acceptable..
You can get plenty of 15.6" laptops with 1080p nowadays... 10 years ago some 15" laptops came with 1600x1200 displays.

My point being that the size of the screen doesn't mean anything. The res is the important part.

Windows Key is on the right side of the keyboard. That is all.

Well I just went to MSI's web site. They have 2 versions with the GTX570M $1699 for the GT780DX-215US and $1999 for the GT780DXR-099US both have the GTX 570m and 1920x1080...Great buy for the same price or less they could have put in the 6990M and I would have ordered one.. Who get's paid to spec these things out? The Sager is the same price/specs with a 6990M but no backlit keyboard:(..again WTF I want to buy something!!!

And no Optimus again right? Let me be clear. Add Optimus. I could give a crap about battery life in a gaming laptop, but I want it to be silent when surfing. That means turning off the 75w lightbulb of a graphics card and turning off the extra fan.

Start making it happen (MSI, Asus, et al)

At least they still have the matte screen right? Ready to follow suit Asus? I sure hope so. Gloss screens SUCK!

Damn right about the anti-glare screen being a reason to choose MSI over Asus. And Asus just doesn't seem to get it. I just read that they are now introducing a new 17" laptop in October and it is once again, only going to be available with a glossy POS screen.

For this reason alone, I'm going to be buying a MSI gaming laptop instead of an Asus G75. The Asus G74SX review looked perfect until the part about the glossy screen. That was the point I lost all interest in Asus Gaming laptop (s). They really need to add a Matte Screen to the Asus G75 when it comes out. If they don't, I'm sure there will be a lot of people buying MSI gaming laptops instead.

This looks like a nice unit but I would have liked to see the 6990 AMD chip instead of the 570M. At least they didn't do something utterly stupid like Asus and switch NumLock for a Calculator shortcut button.

I also agree it is LONG OVERDUE that we see Optimus. All these cards support it. Why have none of the manufacturers chosen to include the feature? Instead they have a "Turbo" and a "Cooldown" button. Errhmm... why not just use Optimus?

I lastly agree that no one has gotten it right yet. Nobody ought to spend $2,500+ on a Clevo and get the utter POS keyboard it comes with (plus it is ugly as can be). And of course only Clevo is using the newer CPUs instead of the same old 2.0 GhZ 2630QM that has been the standard for a long time now. Hint Hint: I don't want to pay $400 to upgrade to a 2.4 chip. Put the new ones in already.

Also Hint: the kind of gamer that is going to spend $2,000 on a laptop probably doesn't want it to look like a 13 year old boy designed it. Why does the keyboard light up like a rainbow? Is this necessary? Why not make the parts better or just keep the cost down?

I found a sick deal with 16gb ram and dual hard drives and bluray for 1699 http://btotech.com/config.asp?config_id=gt780dx-custom . I wish i had the money for this. My check comes next week.

Back