MSI K8MM-V Socket 754 Motherboard & MD Sempron 3000+ 64-bit CPU, 1.8GHz, SOCKET 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Alright trying yet again .......

I had one Computer tower working, however noisy due to an old CPU Fan.

Rang SMBT Computing, asking for a home visit to replace AMD Athlon XP1600+ CPU Fan, due to my inability o leave the house because of a broken leg.
The Proprietor came ripped out the old CPU Fan (with some force) on the floor of my office.

He then replaced the old fan with the new one. According to the CPU Fan Instructions, a thermal paste needed to be applied evenly over the heatsink, before application. I observed Adam do no such thing.

After replacement of fan (which took under one minute from start to finish) he restarted my Computer. It would no longer work. It “hung” at the black startup screen.

He then took my computer tower away, saying he would need to “run further tests”.

After several phone calls by myself, he said either the CPU or motherboard were damaged when HE had had replaced the CPU Fan. He would install a new motherboard into my computer tower.

He did and a few days later my partner went and picked it up.

NB. No mention of costs for parts and labour were even brought up. There error on installation there problem to fix.

Upon installation of the Operating System, (which kept encountering errors), the motherboard was running. The only problem being that upon any type of installation (i.e. Critical Updates, other Utilities) the computer would shut down, and reboot itself. Even when the computer tower was left in idle it would shut down and reboot for no apparent reason.

I also spoke with a technician, from SMBT told him of the automatic shutdowns and subsequent reboots. It was indicated by him the motherboard they had installed was faulty. To return the tower back to them, this was done.

1 week later the proprietor from SMBT Computing rang and said he had a “working motherboard installed on my system, and would be ready for pickup in a couple of hours”

He also asked what CPU I had installed on my system prior to my computer tower being “broken”. I once again told him it was an AMD Athlon XP 1600+.

I received a phone call an hour later telling me a 2nd hand motherboard MSI K8MM-V Socket 754 Motherboard and who only knows whether or not it was also a 2nd hand CPU AMD Sempron 3000+ 64-bit CPU, 1.8GHz, SOCKET 754, was in my tower and ready to be picked up.

I loaded the OS on it, all was well for about a week, I rebooted the PC and got nothing.

Not even the BIOS would show up.

This third mobo is an MSI, so I went to there website, it said remove CMOS Battery for 15 minutes, and remove the JBAT1 for 15 seconds, so I did.

I unplugged the harddrive, DVD Rom, swapped out 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM, changed my new Graphics card for an old one that I knew worked (just in case it was the Graphics Card).

Plugged it back in minus everything, except for RAM and Graphics Card. Restarted it, heard 1 beep, and then looked a lovely black screen.

In the meantime they have sent me an Invoice for $250.00 for a "new (albeit a 2nd hand mobo) and an upgraded CPU.

In the meantime I have stripped the PC right down, removed the mobo and am planning on returning it to SMBT Computing, with the message of "Here's your mobo CPU back, jam your bill where the sun don't shine"

On the bright side my new dual core tower is working like a charm.

I had planned on keeping the tower as a backup PC just in case my new tower died on me. I am still looking into buying a brand new mobo and CPU, and putting it together myself.

I am pretty sure this mobo is DEAD, however there maybe something I have overlooked.

PS I hope this doesn't count as a triple post!! and no I am not a blonde!! I am a redhead lolz

Oh and just for the record I live in Australia we do not have BBB here.

G'Day - I would not waste time on it. I think your idea of sending it back with the bill is spot on. Don't forget to lay it on thick that you are incapacitated and have been taken advantage of over this.
Albert (Whinging Pom) Lionheart

If he fitted the original heatsink without thermal paste then the error was entirely his. Doing that is suicide for the processor, the older amd cpu's had little or no thermal overload protection. I know, i fried one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back