Multimedia Audio Controller Driver Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

XGhozt

My brother gave me a computer and I fixed it up to make it useable for me, but the only problem I am having is that the Multimedia Audio Controller Driver is not working. He used to have a sound card with surround sound speakers, and we removed those becuase he got a new computer. So now I have no sound on the computer, but I keep getting an error with the Multimedia Audio Controller.

Can someone tell me a wy to reset the drive back to the way it was before the sound card was install with the surround sound speakers.

Thanx in advance.

What kind of soundcard was it?

If you know what brand it is, then go to your add/remove programs and uninstall any associated drivers.

If thers nothing in add/remove progs, get a program called DriverCleanerPro, google it, its free
If your soundcard was a Creative, then scroll down to creative and clean out the drivers. If it was turtle, scroll down to turtle. and so on..

IF all else fails, go to your bios and disable Sound somehow

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Does this motherboard have onboard sound? As truflip suggests, uninstall the previous sound card drivers..
Look on the back to see if it has 3 places to plug in
stereo mini plugs.
Then go into "Device Manager" and see if there is a yellow "?"
next to any audio devices.

G'Luck
Let us know.

Thanx guys, I have no idea what the sound card was, and Im, lol, im not a noob with computer or anything like that. I already checked to uninstall any thing that was already there, but the problem is that there is nothing there. Its missing the drivers, I need a drive to install for the computer. Its windows xp profetional.

Any ideas? Cuz Iv never seen this before. :haha:

is it possible for you to take a screenshot of this error? and post it on www.imageshack.us (give us the link)

if u dont have any drivers, it shouldn't give you any errors as xp will assume u dont want sound

Uhg, there aint really any errors... But this is my problem..
Device%20Manager.JPG

No%20Sound.JPG

Speakers are plugged in and I have no souind what so ever..

I jsut want to clarify smething, do you want to have no sound? or you wanna revert back to how ur PC was when it had the sound card (and have sound?)

If you know your motherbaord manufacturer, google what is called "[motherbaord name] drivers" and downlaod them

you need to have an audio driver to make that ! mark beside it go away.

WMP is giving you that pop up because there are no audio drivers deteced in your computer. try running realtek onboard sound without any drivers for it, it'll give you the same situation

truflip said:
I jsut want to clarify smething, do you want to have no sound? or you wanna revert back to how ur PC was when it had the sound card (and have sound?)

If you know your motherbaord manufacturer, google what is called "[motherbaord name] drivers" and downlaod them

you need to have an audio driver to make that ! mark beside it go away.

WMP is giving you that pop up because there are no audio drivers deteced in your computer. try running realtek onboard sound without any drivers for it, it'll give you the same situation

Yes, I want sound, thats why im posting here.

I dont know the motherboard, how can I find out what it is? Or should I just wait for my brother to bring me the cd?

I know why im getting that error, I just though I post it so youi could see what I was seeing..

I need the audio driver, where is it? Thats what im asking.. Can I just go find any ol driver for basic widnows xp? I mean I know when you first install windows w/o any drivers at all for the motherbopard etc.. The sound work fine, so somehow they got uninstalled..

Any ideas?

Google for the free utility, CPU-Z. Download it, run it and it will tell you the name of your motherboard. You don't install CPU-Z, just run the cpuz.exe file. When you find the brand and model of your motherboard go to their website and find the sound driver there. If I understand you correctly, you are talking about the built-in onboard sound, right? The soundcard driver might be separate or it might be part of a bundle of motherboard drivers but that's ok because you also need the USB controller drivers too (I see from your pic).

In Device Manager, doubleclick the Multimedia Audio Controller, select "Details" tab, you should see the "Device Instance ID".

There's VEN_xxxx and DEV_xxxx there, those are the vendor and device ids with which you can search for driver from Google.

or remove those 'question mark' entries (right click remove) in device manager and maybe the other ones in the sound and multimedia tree..

if it comes back after reboot (new hardware found) then you do have a sound card on your pc somewhere, just need to locate drivers off the net..

if it doesn;t its probably because those driver's relate to the old sound card which your friend took.. and chances are you dont have one therefore solving it would be purchaseing a new card for the pc

N3051M, I think he said he knows he has a built in sound card and that he wants sound but he doesnt know wut kind of on-board sound he has so he doesnt know what to download. lol

Anyway, like mailpup said, get CPU-Z it'll tell u what your motherboard is. along with other things.

btw, was this PC custom built? or is it like HP, Dell, IBM, Gateway?

I built it myself after my brother gave me the parts, I just ddint want to reinstall windows xp, becuase I dont have a valid cd key. Plus im lazy, so ill go find out what my motherboard is and see what i can do with that, thanx.

Edit: Think someone can find me the drivers I need?
CPU-Z.JPG

audio driver
Version 3663 2003/12/18 update
OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP / Win2003
Description SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL.
File Size 18.92 (MBytes)

SOcRatEs said:
audio driver
Version 3663 2003/12/18 update
OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP / Win2003
Description SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL.
File Size 18.92 (MBytes)
Whoa, 18mb, thanx for finding it for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back