My ASROCK 775 Dual VSTA/ INTEL PENTIUM D 805 WILL NOT BOOT... I need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - thanks for taking time to read... I really need your expertise...

I'm building my first computer... I purchased the Asrock 775 Dual Vsta mobo... an intel Pentium D 805 cpu... I bought 2 gigs of DDR2 corsair memory to go in it... I have a Logisys yin and yang case, and a 520 watt psu...

I installed the mobo... a GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.... the memory... cpu... I tried connecting the front system panel header wires to the mobo... i am not confident that it was done correctly. The PLED + and - didn't match up... my case has a 3 pin... mobo has 2. I moved the wire over one and plugged it up. I didn't have any other problems connecting the rest of the system panel header wires - they matched up perfectly i think.

I also connected the front usb cables... red, white, green, and then black... my manual says they should be connected as follows: usb pwr, p-7, p+7, gnd, dummy...

I should mention I took the HD from my old case and put it in the new sys to see what would happen.

Now for the problems. First... the power button does not work. The reset button does work - when pressed... the front led lights come on.... the green one like clockwork... the blue light is iffy... sometimes it comes right away... sometimes it hesitates... sometimes it flickers on then off.

With the old HD in it... the monitor came on... and a blinking cursor showed up... nothing more. I thought I probably needed to get a new HD... and didn't want to risk messing up my old one ... so I bought a cheap WD EIDE from wally mart.... ran home and plugged it up. Still same thing happened.

I had also put my optical drive in there... I then noticed the system would beep once when I hit the reset button and it powered up.

I disco'ed the HD and Optical drive.... now The monitor shows some info... AMIBIOS American Megatrends 2004, CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.66 ghz - and it gives options to press F2 or F11... I can never tell exactly what it says b/c the thing keeps shutting down on it's own. It stays powered up for about 10 seconds IF I turn off the rocker switch on the PSU and or unplug it from the surge protector. If I simply press the reset button again... it'll only power up for 3 seconds or so.

I took the memory out... hit reset button ... it beeped three times then shut down. I checked the power supply connections to the motherboard... they're all snug.

I don't have any extra risers or metal touching the mobo... I really don't know what to try... as I said... this is my first time building one... always wanted to... so this is my baptism by fire. Anyhoo... I could really use some direction...and I'd sooooooooooo appreciate it! >=oD

What is your PSU? Brand, wattage, and how many amps it delivers ont he +12V rail.

Now for the problems. First... the power button does not work. The reset button does work -

The Powr connection is probably not connected properly.

so I bought a cheap WD EIDE from wally mart.... ran home and plugged it up. Still same thing happened.

and that is all that is going to happen unless you have and XP disk in the drive and have the optical drive it is in set as first boot device.

When you seen the AMI BIOS screen it POSTed, that is very good. Shutting down in just seconds could be a weak PSU, or the CPU cooler is not installed correctly and it's getting to hot. Trying just one memory stick could help also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back