My computer wont recognize my harddrive to load windows. Help!, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have a Abit-BE6 mobo and my computer crashed. I got a new hard drive and it isn't recognizing my new HDD. I got a Maxtor 200GB OEM. I have it as the slave and my floppy as master. I think that is ok but for some reason it isn't recognizing it. I Then attempted to put it as master and put it to the mobo without the floopy as slave. It recognized it but when it went to load windows it gave an error message that said something like that it couldn't read it or failure. It said i had no hard drive when i put it as slave, it wouldn't recognize it any where. I need the hard drive to load windows and get my computer running. It is also PATA/IDE. I also have no software so i don't know what to do. Please help, i want my computer running again!

JACK

:hotouch:

lets start from does your MB bios support this large drive check with maker?
do you have a working hard drive with OS on it
try just booting like normal (remove new drive)
now if that works
make sure this older drive jumpers are set to master on first ide cable
make sec. drive slave on 2nd ide cable if you have a cdrom make that master
on 2nd ide cable.
after adding new drive watch boot screen should show the 2 drives
if not reboot go into bios see if you can forcr bios to recognize drive.

You have to have your hdd as master and floppy as slave, because the floppy drive controller cannot take control of the hard drive.

Kevin16 said:
You have to have your hdd as master and floppy as slave, because the floppy drive controller cannot take control of the hard drive.
Nice try, but...

Your booting hd needs to be set as master. But floppy as slave? Floppys aren't even on the same ribbon as hard drives.

If it is a brand new HD it won't be recognised until you run the drive prep utilities that shipped with the drive.
Maxtor's is called MaXblast i believe and is very user friendly.
Re-set the jumper to slave and re-boot.Then run the MaXblast cd to partition and format the drive.
Shut down, re-boot and you should be good to go.

patio. :cool:

my bad, i wasnt thinking :D

i forgot about the ribbon cable issue when he said that he had the harddrive as slave and the floppy as master. I stupidly thought that they were on the same cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back