My CPU fan is spinning out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is my first post.

I have a Pentium 3 processor (I know, I know),SLOT1, 750 MHz, with it, a Golden Orb Slot-1 Fan and Heat Sink (
p3gorb.jpg
)

I've had this computer for like 4 years, and never had a problem with it (besides a couple of nasty issues with a HD). But just tonight, without moving anything to it, the fan started to make some weird noises, like if something was in its way and not letting it spin completely. So I turn off the computer, clear the area and make sure no cable is getting in the way of the fan, turn it back on and its fine. But after a couple of minutes, starts making that same noise.

Now, I turn off the computer, take off the fan (processor included), and I cleaned the fan (hey, after four years without touching it, it had lots of accumulated dirt there). After I did that, I inserted the Processor/fan back into the motherboard, I turn it back on, and to my surprise, it was making a loud, fast noise, sounding like an airplane engine. And it seems that I cannot get it to work...

Is the fan gone for good, or does it have a chance? Please help!

This might be accurate, because I tried to clean it with a q-tip BEFORE taking it out of the motherboard... maybe I wasnt careful enough..

After I took it out of the motherboard, I took all the dust off the fan, but it felt kinda loose...

So, its possible that I need another fan, huh?

Hmm. My wifes computer is a celeron 1.7GHz. And sometimes when it turns on the fan vibrates or something, sounds like the computer just went in to Turbo Speed! lol.

Is that the same thing? This normally happens after the computer was shut off for a while, say a few hours or more. Otherwise there is no problem. One last thing, if it is the same thing, how can I fix it, it is quite annoying and can't be good...

MaXtor said:
Hmm. My wifes computer is a celeron 1.7GHz. And sometimes when it turns on the fan vibrates or something, sounds like the computer just went in to Turbo Speed! lol.

Is that the same thing? This normally happens after the computer was shut off for a while, say a few hours or more. Otherwise there is no problem. One last thing, if it is the same thing, how can I fix it, it is quite annoying and can't be good...

check to see if theres dust build up.. usually computer fans run faster at bootup.. i dono why.. jus does that. but if it only does that if the comps been off for a while.. then its different. how do u fix that? u'd have to replace ur fan.

If you've had that fan for 4 years now, I think the better thing for your CPU would be to change it with a new one, and replace the thermal paste when doing this. You could also try to use some oil to the old one to extend its life span a little, but it will just delay the inevitable.

Kodrutz, never use oil on something that is open to dust. Use graphite lube. Any local hardware store will carry it. Graphite lube is an extreme fine graphite power which goes on dry and remains dry therefore does not attract or accumulate dust and dirt. Pros use this on their roller skate and skate board bearings as well.

Maxtor: Most likely this is the PSU fan ( especially low end PSUs). When they are wearing out and cold there is more gap in the bearing and shaft, as it heats up the gap reduces and quiets down a little. But this the sign to buy a new PSU or if you are sure it's the CPU cooling fan then rush to buy one or you could damage your CPU.

Drugly: Prob time to buy a whole new PC man. But seriously, after 4 years that fans prob about gone, unless you just don't remember the turbo noise it made when it was newer and spinning at full speed! With all that dust it's prob not been spinning at full RPM for years. (so maybe you're ok for awhile yet, keep an eye on it).

Cheers.

I wasn't talking about using oil for the parts opened to the dust, and I wasn't talking about regular oil. The idea is to use oil for fine mechanical stuff like sewing machines and apply it on the axe of the cooler's engine, after removing the protective cover placed over it. After this is complete, you put all back and there won't be any dust there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back