My CPU is over 100C when on full load

Hey guys. I have just built myself a new rig (full setup below in case you need to see everything) and when i was moving my tower to a more suitable place, my stock heatsink fan somehow un-clipped and fell off. I then placed it back on and i found that when running games or any kind of demanding process, it reaches temperatures of around 100'C. The idle temperature is around 35-42'C. Is there anything i can do about this? I am going to try re-applying the thermal paste as well so if you have any tips about that, that would be great :)

SETUP:
i7 950 (Quad core) @3.06GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 570
Asus Rampage III Gene (Micro-ATX)
Cooler Master HAF 922

FANS:
With my case i had 3 built in fans. One at the front, one on the top, and one at the back.
My i7 is using a stock heatsink that came with it. But after it falling off, i think the thermal paste isn't applied properly.

So also is there any other way after applying a new layer or thermal paste, that i can keep my system running as cool as possible?

It's almost definitely the thermal paste - make sure you clean off any residue before re-applying. Now might be a good time to get an aftermarket HSF also. Even a cheap CM 212 Evo would be much better.

you definitely need an aftermarket cooler.

At stock speeds stock coolers are sufficient, after all Intel isn't going to sell you a CPU and heatsink that can't sufficiently cool their processor. This guy's problem occurred because his heatsink became unclipped and he attached it back without reapplying paste, it no longer provided adequate contact between the CPU and the heatsink. The same thing would have happened with any after-market heatsink.

Quote :

"The same thing would have happened with any after-market heatsink"

Confirmed after i decided to change the thermal compound on my vendetta. Cleaned off the old stuff, then discovered i ran out of new stuff....

Currently running @ 44 idle instead of 33/34 idle, under clocked back to 2.5 ghz, until my newTC arrives in the post..

DOH!

Your stock HSF is the massive proverbial elephant in the room. You have some nice components and you should really spend $30-50 getting a decent cooler.

You might want to watch some youtube videos on how to apply thermal paste, a common mistake is to put too much of it on.

ditto on the CPU cooler. Mine came with a very noisy cooler. I spent an extra $80 and it is quiet and cool as well.

Back