My Dell is sooo loud, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

flinch76

O.K, I’ve had my Dell Dimension 5150 for well over 18 months now and I’ve finally had enough of the jet engine noise that it creates as soon as you even think about making the processor do some work!

The system board is a HJ054 800/1066MHZ

I looked at the specs for the board and it doesn’t say anything about it supporting temperature monitoring.

So if I bought a fan that changes it’s speed according to the system temp, am I right in thinking it would run at 100% as there is nothing it tell it otherwise?

I ordered a antec smart cool 120mm case fan only to find that the 3 and 4 pin connectors that came with it do not fit to any connection on my system board or PSU.

I also still have the stock 775 heat sink which I have re -seated many times thinking that it might sort out the problem if the system was causing all this noise due to over heating but as I mentioned earlier, I have no way of finding out what temp my system runs at.

I’ve had a look at some online but most of the good ones say that I’ll need 20cm clearance to install them. I’m pretty sure that I haven’t got that sort of room in my case.

Where do I measure it from?

The top of the system board or the top of the CPU?

Basically I need some assistance in finding a case fan and CPU heat sink that my system board supports and ultimately stop this wailing beast so that I can hear myself think.

All feedback appreciated.

Many thanks,

first off, you could start by giving us some specs of your comp

secdondly, what is your budget and etc

and finally, by talking about clearance, i think it means your mobo to your side panel of the case

I also still have the stock 775 heat sink which I have re -seated many times
Have you made sure to reapply thermal paste after each removal? Since the temperature sensors on the motherboard might use the CPU temp as a guestimate of system temp, that might be the reasons the fans are on full blast.

Try buying some thermal paste, removing the heatsink and cleaning the old paste off (make sure to clean it off the processor too! Be careful with that!), and adding new thermal paste application to the processor. Securely reseat the fan, plug everything back in, and turn on the PC and let it run for about and hour to even out the paste. Then turn it off and leave it for a while to let the paste settle again.

This should hopefully work on your PC, as it worked on a similar Dell Dimension E510 that I had been fixing. :)

P.S., Make sure the fan is on just tight enough. Sometimes contact between the standard intel heatsink and the CPU can loosen D:

Also check you BIOS fan settings. Variable Temperature Control may be turned off and the fan setting left on high. This might be the case if your fan goes to high speed right after you turn it on and stays on high. Unless you are overclocking the stock fan/HS should be enough

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry for not mentioning mt PC specs, it's a Dell Dimension 5150 3.0GHZ Socket 775, HT P4, 2GB RAM, 1066MHZ FSB, M Audio Delta 66, Radeon X300 SE.

And my budget is around £60 for both Items.

As for the thermal paste question, yes did did re-apply it to the CPU each time but still the drone continues...

I've had a look in my BIOS and can't find any feature that gives you the option of fan control, I'm going to check if there is a firmware upgrade available that adds this option though.

Clearance wise it look like there enough room for about a 12cm - 13cm heatsink.

Any reccomendations for the kit?

Check you bios, maybe the fans are set in there to spped up when the system is underload?

Just a thought, Im not too familiar with dells

If that doesnt work, try using a Zalman cpu cooler, those are nice and quite.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry for not mentioning mt PC specs, it's a Dell Dimension 5150 3.0GHZ Socket 775, HT P4, 2GB RAM, 1066MHZ FSB, M Audio Delta 66, Radeon X300 SE.

And my budget is around £60 for both Items.

As for the thermal paste question, yes did did re-apply it to the CPU each time but still the drone continues...

I've had a look in my BIOS and can't find any feature that gives you the option of fan control, I'm going to check if there is a firmware upgrade available that adds this option though.

Clearance wise it look like there enough room for about a 12cm - 13cm heatsink.

Any reccomendations for the kit?
This (of course) would work as a good CPU cooler, but as for case fans, Coolermaster and Silverstone ones are very excellent in quality. Like these ones. (Hooray Two Packs!)

I have a dell dimension 5150 pentuim d, my computer was loud at first too but if you go to the boot menu when you first start the computer there is a menu in there for you performance or something but you can choose between quite performance and something else try quite it worked for me

I had a similar issue with my custom build. Try buying a front bay with a fan controller then you just plug one end into your fan and the other into the mobo its good on mine much quieter now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back