My experience with Maxtor and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1N3ST

Well I have been using this 200GB IDE Maxtor for about 3 months. I ripped it out of an external hard drive, so idk if I can get waranty. It now clicks click clicks! And if i BUMP my tower click, freeze. So I went ahead and bought a 320GB Seagate 7200.10 w/ 16MB of cache. I am sure it will make way less noise and perform way better. It is SATAII. Should stuff load faster and perform better with this new hard drive? And what is the differance between molex and SATA power? I wonder how long maxtors warranty is.....

absolutely. SATA II is a much newer and superior technology than IDE.
molex and SATA power use different adapters.

I know the differance in shape, but are there advantages from one over the other? More stable power, idk.

Just the connectors, nothing else is different. Your SATA drive isn't going to be much faster than your 200 gig IDE drive, pretty much any modern drive that isn't 10,000 rpm or higher is going to perform very similar.

You can check your warranty status by going to the RMA page on Maxtor's site. Its at least 3 years, unless its an OEM drive, then it may be different.

sounds oem issue
if there where no tamper tags or screws put back in the case send it back after a RMA authorization number has been given to you
all this of course it has to be in warranty time limit
some improvement if the cache buffer is higher

seagate bought out maxtor about one year ago, and is still in the process of slowly running maxtor into the ground. ever since then, i've been using WD drives in builds.

UPDATE-

I installed the new drive using SeaTools, couldn't be easier, It copied all files from old hard drive to new hard drive, formatted old hard drive, shut down, and i removed the old hard drive, rebooted into windows with no problem! I notice it is way faster when playing videos and loading games. It has double the cache, and has perpendicular recording, so this was to be expected, it is also a lot quieter! All this was done while playing my x-mas present saints row and a 360 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back