My hard-drive became undetectable by windows..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so earlier today..i was sitting there at my computer doing some gaming..and it decided to crap out on me with a lovely blue screen of death..the kind that moves WAY too fast to be read. Upon resuming it did this thing where the windows loading screen would lag out and show "No signal to monitor" That however isn't my problem.i know a quick fix that i found months ago to this issue. The problem is..upon rebooting my computer..it said that C:\Windows\System32\Config\System was corrupt or missing..and to use the windows recovery console. So i dug out my windows xp cd, fired her up, pressed r to repair and..

"Setup could not find any hard disk drives, please check that they are connected..blah blah blah and so on and so forth"

The hard drive is a Western Digital 1600JS 160 gb hard drive i believe, i had some initial issues when i first put the rig together in terms of manually installing the drivers..now here's the kicker
The BIOS, knows the hard-drive is there.., and i ran the Western Digital Life guard and diagnostic programs and it said the hard-drive is fine.., i selected the option to install the drivers again and it said it would wipe the hard-drive if i did so i canceled on that, because i want to somehow gank my files back off of the computer...does anyone have any ideas what i might have done to mess this up?

If your sure you can`t get the Repair option to work,

there is a good page HERE that gives you the options -

Basically use a Linux live CD,or putting the HD in another computer (Options 4 & 5).

I would advise you try option 4 (another computer).That will give you a chance to

drag any important files off before you start messing.

There are other guides for the same problem,if that one isn`t clear enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back