My harddrives keep disappearing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I have 4 physical harddrives, 1 of which is partitioned into 3 drives, so I have 6 harddrives that show up in My Computer. I just recently added another 1TB (WD Caviar Black) and took out one of the IDE drives. This problem has been happening for, I don't know, 4 months now, and it's REALLLLY frustrating.

Seemingly Randomly, some of the drives will completely disappear from My Computer. It's usually only 1 at a time, and the reason why I said seemingly is because I think it happens when I plug my phone into my computer. I have a Droid and I've noticed that it's happened twice now when I plug it in and mount it to access the SD card.

I thought for a while that it was because I only have a 500W PSU and powering 4 harddrives, 2 optical drives, 5 case fans, a GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked Graphics card, and the rest of the hardware, was overtaxing the power supply. I'm not sure that's the case though.

I really hate restarting my computer, but that's the only way I've found to get the drive back without unplugging and replugging it while the computer is on, which I'm terrified to do.

Does anyone have a solution to this, other than "don't plug your phone into your computer," because I kinda have to. Please, it's very annoying.

Sounds like a issue with the Motherboard SATA or IDE Controller. I take it your using SATA and not IDE anymore. Or are you using both still? All my OC MOBO are duff now. I am doing much OC again the systems are so task out they have short life span. I just installed 3x WD Blue I didn't want the Green nor the Black. I want it quiet but fast as the Green is limited. Black makes noise but the Blue doesn't.

I would check on getting another MoBO or replace the PSU with 700w as you know the 500w is really 400w unless the maker claims it's true 500w performance. I've picked up 3 of these so far they are. PSU and MoBO feature items will fail at any time.

Does your system freeze-up you?

I am using both IDE and SATA harddrives and optical drives. I have one of each ide, and the rest are sata. I don't OC at all, so I know that can't be the issue.

Getting another motherboard or PSU isn't really an option right now, I'm trying to ave up for my wedding in 4 months.

And it occasionally freezes, I just had my first BSOD on windows 7 a few days ago, and when I rebooted my drive boot order had been changed in the bios all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back