My new job flopped. Should I stay or should I go?

Rick

Staff
This is a little bit of a story, but I'll keep it short.

I've been trying to get a job repairing computers and I have my foot in the door of one in particular that pays a lot of money... The problem is, I talked to the owner of the shop about it yesterday and he said..
"You know a lot and I'm very impressed with what you can do... But I'm looking for someone who knows more about Macs and has a car"
That's almost word for word, so that means I won't get the job I wanted as the "all around tech guru". I've "worked" there twice so far, because he wants to see how much I know.

Thew owner said that I've been invaluable having around though, and he'll continue having me come in a couple days a week to help out when they are really busy or to fix stubborn computers. But he said he isn't going to put me on the payroll and just pay me cash (Amount is whatever he sees fit) for the days I come in.

Of course, I worked for 5 hours yesterday and got paid 20 dollars. :( Very disappointing. A week ago and went in for several hours and got paid 40 dollars.. Which was close to around 8 dollars an hour. But what I get paid really doesn't bother me.. It's the love of the labor for me.. There's nothing more I want to do than fix computers. And for this reason, I'm thinking of sticking around. I need something like this on my resumé and I really need the money. It's also something I absolutely love to do, I just feel like I'm being kind of used though.

He's also offered me another side project of selling his computers, parts and other merchandise on ebay. He'll give me 15% commission on the things he sells, all I have to do is post the sale and answer people's questions about the product.

I'm pretty intent on staying because I need money, love the work, and the resume thing and the side project would be good. But I'm not sure if this is what I want. I'll probably have to get another job to support myself.

What do you guys think.. Should I stay or should I go?

I'd stay with the "job", as you like the work, and it does pay money, even if it's not that much...

Maybe if you stick around for a bit, and keep up the work, you'll be put on the payroll... If not, it's something todo whilst looking for something better...

It is allways a good idea to keep the job you've got whilst looking for something else... You have no idea how long it will take you to find something you like, and who'll take you in...

The only thing I'd try to do is get a fixed rate for each hour... Considering you're only helping out when they're stressed or with big problems, you shouldn't be expected to get payed nickels...

But when it comes to the sales on Ebay, I'm a bit unsure... How legal is it?

I would not want to be a part of a embezzelment op, as it would be very bad on my resume...

If he's just selling the stuff from his store at a bit more than import prices, ok...

.02$

I just feel like I'm being kind of used though.

While a job is important, it is meaningless if you are not happy there.

I would make sure you got paid a fair living wage, in other words, something you could live with.

If he refuses to give you a fixed rate you could allways screw him! :thefinger

Like torching a few mobo's.:)

"You know a lot and I'm very impressed with what you can do... But I'm looking for someone who knows more about Macs and has a car"

no car equals no job? Sounds illegal to me.:eek:

But he said he isn't going to put me on the payroll

Working even part-time should be getting you some kind of job benefits, like workers compensation if you get electrocuted!:angel:

It is allways a good idea to keep the job you've got whilst looking for something else... You have no idea how long it will take you to find something you like, and who'll take you in...
exactly what i thought. i mean, you said you enjoy what you do, and at least it's better than not having any income at all, isn't it?

It's a very unfortunate situation.

I have no indication of getting another job anytime soon (no one is biting my resumés and applications yet), so this is the first job offer I've had in nearly a month.

I like what I do and I'm greatful to get paid at all for something I enjoy, but it reminds me a lot of prostitution.. :) I enjoy the work - get paid for it - but it is underhanded and crooked way to make wages.

At the same time though, if I DO stumble across a better job, I will certainly ditch this one or do this as a side project I suppose. I'm just feeling a little weird about it all.

I say screw that guy!

What the heck do u need the responsibility of fixing computers for that lame pay!

I understand the money isnt a big concern, but this dude is screwing you outta money, and you are worth more than that. Don't keep degrading yourself, you wont feel good about it in the end.

i was wondering, what's the average pay rate for Rick's job there in the US (and maybe Europe)?

Four years ago, before getting this job, I was typing data for a living. 15 minutes break in the morning. 45 for lunch. Crappy money and crappy work.

When I got the message that I was getting the interview for this job I jumped for joy. I knew during the interview I HAD to convince them that I was right for the job. And I did.

Hang on in there. Something will turn up. You have useful skills and the right position is just around the corner.

Stick with it. Keep looking for something else and try to get your foot firmly planted in a permanent job with the guy whose not putting you on the payroll. If and when you find something better, plant your foot somewhere else ;)
Just watch you don't get complacent. Always keep your eyes open for something better and more worthy of your skills! The guy does seem to be taking advantage a bit, but as pointed out by others, some income is better than none :(

Originally posted by Ai Hate
i was wondering, what's the average pay rate for Rick's job there in the US (and maybe Europe)?

The guys that work there that get paid for what I'm doing make $20-30 USD an hour. So I'm extremely underpaid.

I guess some money is better than none. I plan on sticking with it for now so thanks for the input everyone. I like the work and I get paid something for it.. I guess that's what counts.

He said he will definitely have me come in on Tues and Wed, then come and go as needed for other days. He said that he might even have a "real" position for me when he opens a new store, which he plans on doing in the near future. But I'm less than optimistic about all of that.

$30 an hour to build and trouble shoot PCs? (is that what your doing?). Thats almost £20 an hour. £100 a day for an 8 hour working day, Thats £2000 a month to build PCs??? £24000 a year!!!!!!! ($38000 a year).

Geez must be in the wrong line of work. :eek: :eek:

I certainly don't get anything like that. And I do a lot more than just repair PCs.

You are getting a little shafted, though. He's definately got more work on than he can cope with, otherwise he would not have you. I would gently speak to him about getting a bit of a better hourly rate after you have been there for a month or so.

In the meantime, KEEP LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB. I firmly believe that something will turn up for you.

Yeah Rick deserves a break on the job front!
I deserve a break on the opposite sex front! Women pfft... :haha:

If you stay there will be trouble?
If you go there will be double?

Originally posted by Arris
$30 an hour to build and trouble shoot PCs? (is that what your doing?). Thats almost £20 an hour. £100 a day for an 8 hour working day, Thats £2000 a month to build PCs??? £24000 a year!!!!!!! ($38000 a year).

Geez must be in the wrong line of work. :eek: :eek:
£20 x 8 hours = £160 per day
£160 x 5 days = £800 per week
£800 x 52 weeks = £41,600 per year

That would be $62,400 USD per year! (before taxes of around 21.5% here in FL or $48,984 take home)

The typical rate for that job here in FL would be more like $12-15 per hour.

I would stick around until you find something better. Try to work out a deal for a defined rate of pay. $20 for 5 hours of works sucks even when it's under the table. The eBay thing sounds like a good way to get free room and board from the state, if you know what I mean.

Just repeating what some others have said but.... Keep the job, and keep on looking for other stuff. If you are only working a couple of days a week, you are still available for interviews and filling in job applications. My missus is in a similar situation to you, she is just working in mornings, which gives her time to do a part time college course and apply for jobs that she really wants to do. Just keep a broader perspective than the four walls that are a job....

Hope this helps :)

Good news is I got paid 100 dollars yesterday for a tough job (system transplant) and a rather simple virus removal job... Now that's more like it. :)

Try to carve yourself a small niche, create a little job security. You can do things like set BIOS passwords and change local admin passwords on the machines. Then when it comes time to repair, you're the only man for the job.

Also, see if you can negotiate the pay before you start work for the day. Particularly if its going to be a big job. And if there's one thing I've learned about the IT department. Its that information is readily available for you. It never hurts to be the guy with the copy of your bosses email from some mistress. ;)

Originally posted by Elcarion
£20 x 8 hours = £160 per day
£160 x 5 days = £800 per week
£800 x 52 weeks = £41,600 per year

That would be $62,400 USD per year! (before taxes of around 21.5% here in FL or $48,984 take home)

The typical rate for that job here in FL would be more like $12-15 per hour.

Where did I get £20 x 8 = £100...
I'm hoping it was a typo and not a demonstration of my pathetic mental ability :)

Still it works out pretty nice regardless of my error.

Glad it seems to be working out a little better on the cash front Rick.

Back