My new PC's screen turns black when launching a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japhir

Hey guys!

I recently bought a new computer (all separate components which my brother assembled for me) and everything works fine. But as soon as I launch any game (like Crysis, Painkiller, Bioshock) the screen turns black and it doesn't respond to anything anymore. Old online games like quake live run like a charm though. Beyond good and evil runs smoothly, but somehow the eyes don't always follow the rest of the model, making the characters look like retards all the time.

System:

case: Antec Sonata III 500 Zwart, 500 Watt
motherboard: Asus P5Q SE PLUS
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (C1) 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz, 12 MB, Boxed
videocard: Asus EN9800GT/HTDP/1GD3 1024 MB
memory: Kingston HyperX Dual Channel 4 GB, PC8500, 1066 MHz, Kit Of 2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB, 7200 Rpm, 32 MB, S-ATA II/300
monitor: LG LCD Monitor W2261V-PF 21.5 Inch / 54.61 Cm, 2 Ms, Zwart
mouse: Logitech Mouse Optical Wheel S96 PS/2
Keyboard: Logitech Ultra-X Premium Keyboard USB, Zwart, Qwerty
Sound system: don't remember the name ;). It says sweex and is 2.1.

Obviously I have already updated all the drivers, and tried tweaking some settings in the videocard driver, but nothing helped.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this! Do you think it's a hardware problem or software?
It's really grinding my gears because it's just new and I want it to work perfectly :). (I don't really play a lot of games, but I just want it to work! oh, and 3d software like 3d Studio Max and Z-brush all run like a charm.)

Thanks in advance!

Ilja

Sounds like your video card is not installed and setup properly. I'd recommend going through the whole installation & setup from the start. If the problem continues then you need to test the vide card.

-- Andy

Make sure you have all the latest drivers for your video card. Make sure windows is up to date. Make sure you go to your mobo site and get all the latest drivers. Also as a precaution with any new rig id get a program to monitor your temperature, I use a free one called core temp. If your not going over 70c core temperature, heat is likely not a problem or thee problem. Although staying below 60c is recommended. I recently built this rig and let me tell you, you will not regret getting all the newest drivers. Little problems here and there vanish.

Thanks guys :)

I made sure the video card was installed correctly (the hardware), then removed the drivers and reinstalled them (they where already up to date though).
It's probably not the temperature:
coretempscr.png

I also reinstalled directx10.

But still it sucks :(

so any other ideas?

After installing/trying some other games the problem seemed to vary depending on the game I'm playing.
-some games (bioshock, Portal) first appear to work, then the mouse goes to the circular loading thingie, and doesn't respond to clicking. If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del the screen freezes and it doesn't respond to anything anymore
-other games (Team Fortress 2, Painkiller Overdose, Crysis) just immediately make the screen go black and after that it doesn't respond.
It does not restart automatically, I have to press the reset button.

So any ideas what this could be?

Soon I might try and install the windows 7 beta and try again.
thanks for the help!

Somehow I missed finding which operating sytem you are using.

But we find a lot of the 1 GB and larger hard drives are simply too slow for some games.

oh it might be that i didn't mention it XD. stupid.

I'm running on Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Kcircyrd, sorry to say, but I don't think it's his hard drive. I have a 1TB drive just like his but mine is a Western digital. Same Cache and RPMS. I have no problems playing Crysis, Bioshock, Supreme Commander, and Prototype. (Just to name a few.)

I would have to say vid card, get the newer drivers for it and if it still does it, get a different card and install it to see if it does it with the new card also. Wouldn't an underpowered system cause something like this also?

That is a resolution and refresh rate issue.. Not a problem,, put proper drivers and put proper res for desktop and for games ,,,, gl

The clean install took care of the problem? Good to know.
What was "unclean" about the problem install... was it an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back