My PC is scrolling on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvyrpet

uugghh doesnt happen all the time but happens way too often. my vertical scroll bar moves down on its own. I move it back to the top and it goes back down. Sometimes it changes my page while I am typing.

HELP
thanks

I have seen behaviour like this with conflicting /outdated software.You will have to troubleshoot this by first;
Checking for updates. Try searches at Manufacturers site for your hardware,etc.
Try turning off programs running in the background.
Turn off screen savers.
See if you can re-create the symptoms . If you can create the symptoms then one of the things you did is causing a conflict.

Thanks for the reply. Dumb question, how do I know what programs might be running in the background? Through Task Manager? This is something that doesnt happen all the time. thanks

I have seen this problem a time or two. And usually when I see it, it is because there is some key that is stuck on the keyboard, or the mouse is stuck in a scrolling motion. I simply hit all buttons on the mouse, and try hitting some of the function keys on the keyboard (shift, alt, ctrl, right, left, up, down). This has usually taken care of the problem for me.

You can also try using a different mouse and keyboard to see if it might be getting old and creating short somehow.

luvyrpet said:
Thanks for the reply. Dumb question, how do I know what programs might be running in the background? Through Task Manager? This is something that doesnt happen all the time. thanks

You look at the Process Tab after you press Ctrl+Alt+Del. All of those .exe's are running programs. Some you can stop by right clicking and stop process. Others, Windows will stop you from shutting down.You ony use this to help to discover problematic programs .Then ,find the right way to fix the issue.

Also Portner's idea is correct in some cases. I use a trackball and when it is dirty I have had similar effects re; erratic movement etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back