My problem with my cd/dvd drive

abbasi

Hello all,

My machine is running XP professional. My problem is about the CD/DVD drive. In normal state, when it's empty, it can be opened and closed just as normal. But for most of the CDes or DVDes, one problem will occur.
The problem is, first that CD or DVD will not be read/recognized. Then the CD/DVD drive is no longer available in my computer window like that is not recognized as well. And also in deice manage's list, there isn't any CD/DVD drive item!
In those situations, every time I need to restart the PC one or several times and try to eject the cd drive and put out that CD/DVD and start the machine again. Then the CD drive will return again!

How to fix that problem please?

Hi, It could be the DVD's firmware is out of date or corrupted in some way (unlikely though.)
If the DVD drive shows in 'Device manager' at first boot, with no disc in, try uninstalling it (right click on the drive) then reboot the pc, it should re-discover it.
Also remove both the power plug and the data plug from the back of the DVD drive and plug them back in again just to remake the connections.
Might be worth checking the connections from the ribbons to the motherboard as well.

Don't forget to check out the lenses in between of CD ROM. Sometime, it apparently stops reading CDs and DVDs because of damaged or bad read/write lense.

Good luck though!!

DVD drives are very cheap and also easy to replace. I'd not spend much time fiddling with it if the desktop is quite old.

Back