My system will not boot with new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 Gbytes
(ST3500630AS), Serial ATA
. When I load it up my computer turns on the just freezes at the motherboard logo screen, (in my case foxconn's Winfast).

I have a 300W PSU, but it didn't have any sata power connectors so i bought a 4-pin molex to SATA power connector adaptor(the adaptor is new), but I do have a SATA Data cable port on my motherboard. I have also tried will all of the other hardware off (so there is less load on the PSU).

I have a Winfast 760GXK8MC MotherBoard. My Bios is flashed from 11/2005.
What I don't Understand is why my computer just freezes.
Is it to do with the PSU,the Motherboard or the adaptor.
The HDD was pretty expensive so I wouldn't want it to go to waste.
Feel free to ask questions.
Any help is Much appreciated.
Thanks for your time

in BIOS set it as 1st boot device priority and make sure an OS is installed on this HDD.
there's nothing more i can say.

hey mmphd. as was asked previously, is this new hard drive your primary (main) or is it just an add-on? Also, if it is just an addon, is the your primary disk also SATA or is it IDE?? I know of people with problems with IDE masters with SATA slaves so i'm just enquiring on it .. cheerio

Thanks for all the replies.
But I can't really do anything, because as I stated earlier I can't even enter my Bios. It freezes at the Motherboard Logo screen (the screen where it says press 'delete' to enter bios).
I have tried putting it on with out anything else attached. The current HDD I am using is an IDE interface.
I am using an molex-sata adaptor to connect the HDD but so far I have been able to merely go to the bios.

hey i had that same problem, my sata hdd would boot either. My problem was that i kept trying to use RAID. I had to change my bios settings to legacy and then use IDE for my hdd connection. For some reason my computer started freezing when booting xp. I hope that can help, it did for me.

HAMM-BONE said:
I had to change my bios settings to legacy and then use IDE for my hdd connection.

How did you get your SATA to connect to IDE?

please remember my cpu freezes right at the beginning ( before winxp), and I can't get into the Bios when the HDD is connected. (and I am using a molex-sata adaptor because my PSU doesn't have any sata power connectors.
is there a chance there is a problem with the PSU.

Thanks for all the help

320GB - 298GB free or less on avg. That PSU really not enough for these type of HDD and you should really consider buy a PSU 400 or even 500W that supports SATA HDD as these will come with the right connectors.

Does the MOBO support SATA?
Does BIOS say there is SATA support?
Did you install the SATA drivers prior to installing the HDD?

tipstir said:
320GB - 298GB free or less on avg. That PSU really not enough for these type of HDD and you should really consider buy a PSU 400 or even 500W that supports SATA HDD as these will come with the right connectors.

Does the MOBO support SATA?
Does BIOS say there is SATA support?
Did you install the SATA drivers prior to installing the HDD?

I think you might be right. There is a SATA port on the motherboard. As to it supporting it I don't know but since it has a port it should work.
About the SATA drivers, it says on the companies website that for windows XP you shouldn't really require them (no CD, wires etc. came with the HDD).
But if you know where I can get some from it will be very helpful.
Should I consider getting a new PSU?
Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back