Mysterious pop-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollo1873

I am currently using Mozilla Firefox as my default browser. However, I have IE installed. Every so often, 10,15 mins or so, I get a random pop-up, even after completely blocking the sites and adding them to the blocked sites within my IE (what browser the pop-ups are running with) settings. I don't see why I should get IE pop-ups when IE is entirely blocked? I cannot uninstall it, seen as MSN uses it to run applications.

All help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

I don't see how i could of possibly been infected with a brand new PC. It started on the first day i turned it on, which was about a month ago.

i suggest to try some anti virus, anti maleware and anti spyware programs such as: avg (anti virus), malewarebyte's anti-maleware (anti maleware) and superantispyware (anti spyware)

I've ran AVG, Malwarebites and Anti-spyware, Malware found a registry edit, which i think was the problem, restarted my pc as a registry edit was made, and i thought this would fix it, but it returned.

A description of the pop-ups would be of great help.

Make sure Firefox is set as the default browser and that Internet Explorer isn't checked:

Open Firefox: Tools> Options> Advanced> System Defaults> CHECK 'always check to see if Firefox is the default'> Check now> Close.

Control Panel> Internet options> Programs tab> UNCHECK 'Internet Explorer should check to see if it's the default'> Apply> OK.

Firefox has a pop-up stopper. If you have the Google toolbar on IE, make sure the pop-up stopped is on.

If those settings are already in place and the pop-ups you're getting are of the offensive type, please go to the Virus and Malware forum and do these steps.

As for having a new computer versus malware: the second you sign on to the internet, your system is vulnerable. If you do not have good security set up, you can get malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back