'Mystery Midweek' Steam sale offers discounts on dozens of games in celebration of Friday the 13th

Shawn Knight

Staff member

steam valve gaming sale mystery games steam sale mystery midweek mystery games

Any reason is a good reason to host a sale according to Valve (I concur). The company has launched a new Steam sale in which they’ve slashed prices on dozens of mystery-themed games in an apparent celebration of this coming Friday the 13th.

With nearly 45 titles on tap, odds are that most will find something suitable for purchase. A quick check of the list revealed a handful of games that I’d be interested in playing (or replaying) including Alan Wake, the entire Max Payne series (Max Payne 1, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne and Max Payne 3), realMyst: Masterpiece Edition and the Dark Fall games (Dark Fall: The Journal and Dark Fall 2: Lights Out).

At a combined price of $36.43 for all seven games, that’s a pretty solid deal.

steam valve gaming sale mystery games steam sale mystery midweek mystery games

You’ll find games in the sale discounted by as much as 80 percent. Best yet, most of the titles don’t appear to be too terribly graphic intensive so you should be able to get by running them on older hardware.

You’ll also notice that this isn’t a major Steam sale so there aren’t any daily deals or flash sales but that’s alright. If you don’t see anything this time around that tickles your fancy, you can always hold out for the annual summer sale later this year.

Are you planning to pick up any games in the Mystery Midweek sale? If so, let us know which ones in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Not even remotely likely. I've never bought anything from/on Steam, I'd rather have the old fashioned physical copies.

Last edited:
I have bought a few things from Steam. My biggest gripe is that they don't always divulge the minimum operating and opium operating requirements. I got stuck with one "dog" until I upgraded my system, but that practice isn't very professional.

I've been wanting to buy some steam games for quite a while, but due to past security leaks refuse to use my credit card. Also there is the additional put off where euro prices are way more than sterling prices and being someone that lives on the border of northern ireland, southern ireland and is well aware of sterling/euro exchange rates I refuse to buy using euros yet am locked into it due to me being just slightly one side of the border!
I think I'll just carry on buying the cheaper disc based games from Game uk or Amazon, etc as steam doesn't seem to care enough to want my impulse buys.

Yea me too but that scenario is pretty much OVER
Not at all. It depends where in the world you live. It's difficult for those who have lightning fast internet speeds to comprehend that not everyone else does.
If game publishers want to peddle their wares worldwide they have to cater to all markets.

I only use digital distribution sites such as Steam, Amazon, G.O.G and Green Man Gaming and haven't had an issue yet.

Yea me too but that scenario is pretty much OVER
Not at all. It depends where in the world you live. It's difficult for those who have lightning fast internet speeds to comprehend that not everyone else does.
If game publishers want to peddle their wares worldwide they have to cater to all markets.

What? You mean the whole world isn't bathed in lighting fast Internet yet?

However I would have to disagree with that last statement, the digital download era has allowed more publishers to make themselves available in more markets than ever before. We're well beyond the turning point now, with almost 50% of the world connected I would think it be easier to digitally distribute your product versus the old physical copy that needs to be on a store shelf in your local market. Also keep in mind a lot of these indie games aren't terribly big and can still be downloaded on a slow connection, so it takes a little longer, big deal. Would you rather not have access to these games because the publisher isn't willing to dish out the thousands of dollars to manufacture a retail copy and send it to umpteen million stores worldwide at the hope someone walks in and say "hey that looks interesting" having never herd of the publisher. Seems to me the digital method is far superior for the little guys, but that's just my thought on the situation.

Love the Max Payne series... loads of fun. I hope R* will start making FPS an option for PC versions, should there be a MP 4 or 5. I'm looking forward to GTA 5 on the PC and FPS mode.

I still have 300 games in my steam library to play through, so I am on a no buy binge atm.

I'm at 550 at the moment so my steam buying has slowed down a bunch. I also became a dad and that is eating into my game time, but I don't mind one bit. :)

I've been wanting to buy some steam games for quite a while, but due to past security leaks refuse to use my credit card. Also there is the additional put off where euro prices are way more than sterling prices and being someone that lives on the border of northern ireland, southern ireland and is well aware of sterling/euro exchange rates I refuse to buy using euros yet am locked into it due to me being just slightly one side of the border! I think I'll just carry on buying the cheaper disc based games from Game uk or Amazon, etc as steam doesn't seem to care enough to want my impulse buys
You can't buy a disposable one time use card, or even a reloadable one?

What? You mean the whole world isn't bathed in lighting fast Internet yet?

However I would have to disagree with that last statement, the digital download era has allowed more publishers to make themselves available in more markets than ever before. We're well beyond the turning point now, with almost 50% of the world connected I would think it be easier to digitally distribute your product versus the old physical copy that needs to be on a store shelf in your local market. Also keep in mind a lot of these indie games aren't terribly big and can still be downloaded on a slow connection, so it takes a little longer, big deal. Would you rather not have access to these games because the publisher isn't willing to dish out the thousands of dollars to manufacture a retail copy and send it to umpteen million stores worldwide at the hope someone walks in and say "hey that looks interesting" having never herd of the publisher. Seems to me the digital method is far superior for the little guys, but that's just my thought on the situation.
I wasn't talking about indie titles. If you say indie games have to be downloaded then I can't argue with you, it must be true, it's just that I pay no attention to them. Steam is busy advertising top tier publisher, former AAA titles here and some of the later releases are big downloads so it doesn't work for everyone.
What I do know for a fact is that digitally downloading AAA games is very unpopular here (probably because 70% of the population don't know what credit cards are or don't have an internet connection) but I'm more fortunate than most because I have a reasonably quick connection (and credit cards) by our standards with no throttling or shaping but still not interested in downloading them either, I'd rather have a physical copy but that's just me. I'm not a big gamer with 100's of titles in my collection, I have a dozen at the most.

Last edited:

me lightning fast? ha ha ha...you wrong buddy. and I stand by my statement

I wasn't talking about indie titles.

The games in question on sale are Indie games which is what I figured the topic of conversation would have been, lucky for you very few AAA titles these days are worth pirating, let alone paying for and digitally downloading a legit copy.

I'd say I'm sorry the western world doesn't cater to the people of South Africa, but I just can't be sorry for something outside of my control. And you state that you have "reasonably quick internet" so I don't see what the problem is, your complaining about the 70% that don't have credit cards, and portray it as a fact that people find the notion of digital downloads an inconvenience. I feel your replacing fact with personal opinion, how do you know those 70% even give a flying seal about those AAA titles, they may not even have the means of enjoying them to begin with.

No... It's not my personal opinion but indeed a fact. People in African countries who have the little luxuries in life which are taken for granted elsewhere are considered very fortunate. It's sad but that's how things work. With a population of about 52 million only 10-12% have credit cards and ~ 100 000 homes have a permanent internet connection so you can see a model like Steam's is not going to work here but that's not their fault. as you so correctly stated, it's out of the control of the western world.

No... It's not my personal opinion but indeed a fact. People in African countries who have the little luxuries in life which are taken for granted elsewhere are considered very fortunate. It's sad but that's how things work. With a population of about 52 million only 10-12% have credit cards and ~ 100 000 homes have a permanent internet connection so you can see a model like Steam's is not going to work here but that's not their fault. as you so correctly stated, it's out of the control of the western world.

"The Internet user base in South Africa increased from 2.4 million in 2000, to 5 million in 2008, and to 12.3 million in 2012. This represents 34% of the South African population in 2012." Like I said, your making up facts. So please, elaborate on where you are getting this information.

"As of November 2013, Fixed line DSL speeds on offer range between 2 Mbit/s to 40 Mbit/s." This is comparable to my connection here in Canada, and much higher than your "fastest" 10Mbps line your claiming. So yes, again, it's your personal opinion, not fact.

Both quotes are from Wikipedia.

"The Internet user base in South Africa increased from 2.4 million in 2000, to 5 million in 2008, and to 12.3 million in 2012. This represents 34% of the South African population in 2012." Like I said, your making up facts. So please, elaborate on where you are getting this information.

"As of November 2013, Fixed line DSL speeds on offer range between 2 Mbit/s to 40 Mbit/s." This is comparable to my connection here in Canada, and much higher than your "fastest" 10Mbps line your claiming. So yes, again, it's your personal opinion, not fact.

Both quotes are from Wikipedia.
OK if you say so I'll believe you.

Back