'Mythbusters' reboot premieres November 15 on Science Channel

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Discovery-owned Science Channel is rebooting one of the most iconic TV shows of our generation, Mythbusters.

The science-fueled series premiered way back in 2003 and quickly identified an educational format that worked and a cast that fans loved. The show remained popular for well over a decade but when co-hosts Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara – collectively known as the Build Team – left in 2014 and a new format was introduced, things quickly turned south.

The 14th and final season premiered in January 2016.

The Build Team trio went on to create a Mythbusters-inspired spin-off for Netflix called White Rabbit Project. The 10-episode series premiered on December 9, 2016, but was not renewed for a second season.

Not content to leave the concept be, Science Channel is launching a new season of Mythbusters that’ll debut on November 15. We’re told that 14 episodes are on the docket although with none of the original cast on board, its chance for success is slim at best.

The new Mythbusters will be hosted by Brian Louden and Jon Lung, winners of the recent national casting call competition. The debut episode will reportedly test whether airbags can be lethal to passengers that put their feet on the dashboard and if decapitation truly leads to that dramatic pause before dropping to the ground as is often depicted in the movies.

Permalink to story.

The original show turned dumb very fast. After they ran out of decent ideas - about two seasons worth, it ended up being "OK - we've made a mess trying to prove this urban legend that no one knows about or we flat-out fabricated, so let's make the biggest bomb we can and blow it all up."

The original show turned dumb very fast. After they ran out of decent ideas - about two seasons worth, it ended up being "OK - we've made a mess trying to prove this urban legend that no one knows about or we flat-out fabricated, so let's make the biggest bomb we can and blow it all up."

Yeah I agree. I was never a big fan of the show. There were a few episodes here and there that were good, but overall, I never really felt drawn in to watch it. I'm definitely not watching this new version with what appears to be two hipsters taking the lead. No thanks.

They did a lot of things that simply made zero sense. One that still drives me mad is the A/C vs Windows down.
instead of being smart about the test and using the a/c to a comfortable degree, they blasted it 100% the entire time. Who in their right mind would ever do that? About the only time you'd see something that stupid would be someone in a convertible that blasts his/her a/c in order to beat the heat while having the top down.
I don't think either would really save gas when done like a normal user, but they ran that test like you'd setup a story where you're pushing the narrative.
I watched I guess it was the reboot where they were picking the cast with sort of a survivor or some other crap reality show style pick of cast. It felt more like a youtube series than a tv series.
I'll likely watch, but right now I don't feel like I'd be missing anything if I didn't watch.

They did a lot of things that simply made zero sense. One that still drives me mad is the A/C vs Windows down.
instead of being smart about the test and using the a/c to a comfortable degree, they blasted it 100% the entire time. Who in their right mind would ever do that? About the only time you'd see something that stupid would be someone in a convertible that blasts his/her a/c in order to beat the heat while having the top down.
I don't think either would really save gas when done like a normal user, but they ran that test like you'd setup a story where you're pushing the narrative.
I watched I guess it was the reboot where they were picking the cast with sort of a survivor or some other crap reality show style pick of cast. It felt more like a youtube series than a tv series.
I'll likely watch, but right now I don't feel like I'd be missing anything if I didn't watch.

I blast A/C 100% of the time. Many people I know do too. In south Texas you got to do that during summer, and if your A/C is working great, you might get comfortable. I do agree that they don't prove a lot, and are dead out wrong on some things. The one that really pissed me off is the polygraph one.

The problem is that they are after ratings, not science or education. It would kill the ratings if this show went through the " scientific method " in a controlled, " scientific " way. Ironically, I would be more inclined to watch it then.

Can Mythbusters rekindle the magic?

In short: No.

In longer version: Magic wadz dat?

I agree with the above posts. Out of 14 years there was perhaps maximum 3 seasons worth of content. Some stories were utterly retarded, others totally fabricated and another completely missing the point (unless point of every show was to blow stuff into sub-atomic particles).

I think the problem will be that these "new guys" are not like the originals in that they do not work for movie companies making things that work, or own studios to sell "how to" knowledge to those who need it. They are just a couple of guys who more or less won a contest to be "presenters" on TV. Now... if they also had a build team with some interesting people who are also engineers (or at least a hot chick who knows how to "wrench" in the mix), then it might be worth watching them solve some problems. In the previous build team, Grant was an electrical engineer, Kari was... well, Kari and worth watching, and Tory was at least willing to try almost anything. Between them, they added viewer interest as to how there might be various ways to approach a problem and find solutions.

Back