n00b switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinrusty

So, I just bought this 32 port and another 24 port switch for a big lan party i'm having....I managed to hook the two together via their uplink ports, and, well, when I plug my comp into one of the jacks, it says "limited or no connectivity" So, my question is, how would I configure the TCP/IP settings? I know the subnetmask is 255.255.255.0, and the ip address is 192.168.1.xx, but what about the default gateway and DNS servers? Do I put anything there? At the last LAN party I went to, I had this same problem and someone showed me how to do it, but I forgot :( Any help would be appreciated!

Well first, don't set ANY of that manually. The router should assign you all the IP info. If that's not happening, DHCP is screwed up, or else you have a bad cable or bad port.
If other PCs connected can get dynamic info, so should you, or setting static info won't help.

Try a new cable, and a new port. Make sure your NIC settings are all set to auto, and make sure you don't have firewall software interfering.

Good luck!

Yeah, no router involved here... just a switch.

Without a router, there's probably no DHCP server. That's quite fine, as you seem content with assigning the network info manually.

The gateway address refers to a router, so no gateway needs to be specified unless you need these computers to access the Internet, in which case traffic has to be routed from one network to another.

The DNS address does not need to be specified either, unless you need Internet connectivity or have to resolve host names. If you plan on using a gateway (router), your DNS would probably be your gateway IP. If it is necessary, Windows hostnames can also be resolved using other methods... Again, not necessary for your situation.

If you have to specify a gateway and DNS, then you should enter the IP address of the game host computer for the values. I say 'have to' because I've noticed at least one game over the years where clients could not detect hosts until the gateway and/or DNS was supplied... Even though it isn't really necessary.

But in short, just an IP and subnet should get your by. Gateway and DNS would only be useful for Internet connetivity. And a router really would be an easier way to do all of this... Just a cheap one... Plugged into one of the ports. :)

Sweet, thanks. That's just what I was looking for. By router, do you mean like a cheap wireless router or an actual rackmount type of deal? Thanks again
!

penguinrusty said:
Sweet, thanks. That's just what I was looking for. By router, do you mean like a cheap wireless router or an actual rackmount type of deal? Thanks again
!

A cheap-o (not even wireless) router would work quite well, and you can find them for around $20 or so. Wireless routers can be had for little more, usually $40+. Sometimes there's rebates etc, which can lower the price even more. If you plan on Internet access, I would invest a little more in a 'decent quality' router, since you'll have a lot going on.

Ah, didn't know there wasn't a router involved.

Yes a cheap router will solve a lot of "manual" configuring because you can just set DHCP and be done with it. Most PCs are set to auto anyway, so it makes it easy when people show up at a LAN party with their box and not have to change their settings.

But sounds like you have a handle on things now.

I have a nice Netgear wireless router laying around, so I'll just use that. Again, thanks for the help! Should be a killer LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back