NAS and email knowledge lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am a small business owner running 2 laptops and a desktop pc (one of the laptops is running xp although will hopefully upgrade it to vista soon.)

I am looking to purchase a NAS device mostly for media sharing and syncronization between pc's but would like to be able to access my email accounts via outlook (although would consider another product with same basic functionality eg: local storage, tasks, calendar, etc). I am using googlemail for all my accounts.

I am aware that there are several NAS devices out there that let you connect and manage files remotely over the internet. It seems that to me that it should therefor be relatively simple to have all outlook (or alternative) files stored on a remotely accessible NAS to synchronize accross all pc's automatically on login, hereby removing the need for an expensive hosted service such as MS exchange.

I have googled just about every variation I can think of to find the relevant information, but to no avail. I am fairly savvy for an unqualified home user, but lack the deeper understanding of NAS and outlook to get through this one on my own.

If this is possible please give some advice on setup and the best hardware fro the job. (Lastly if the NAS doubled as a print server, that would be cool too!)

MAny thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Don.

NAS devices (Network Attached Storage) just attach to your LAN using the File Sharing,
Map Network Drives capability.

1) Internet access to one of YOUR LAN drives is a big security hole, so that's not the
right approach.

2) depending upon the software you use to send/receive, sharing email files can easily corrupt them and you lose everything.

If I wanted Internet access to my email, I would use a Webbased email solution
(like gmail), configure it to retain all down loaded email, and the use my pc
to access the gmail pop3 account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back