NASA pushes back James Webb Space Telescope launch to May 2020

Shawn Knight

Staff member

NASA on Tuesday said its James Webb Space Telescope will miss its planned 2019 launch window. The setback, not exactly unexpected, means the next-generation telescope won’t leave Earth until approximately May 2020 at the earliest.

The telescope, described by acting NASA administrator Robert Lightfoot as the highest priority project for the agency’s Science Mission Directorate and the largest international space science project in US history, was developed in coordination with the Canadian Space Agency and the European Space Agency.

Work on the JWST started in the mid-90s as the Next Generation Space Telescope (the observatory was renamed in September 2002 after former NASA administrator James Webb). The project has been plagued by budget overruns and delays spanning multiple decades. Construction was finally completed in late 2016 with a planned launch in October 2018 but again, delays got in the way

Lightfoot on Tuesday said all of the telescope’s flight hardware is now complete but added that issues brought to light with the spacecraft elements are forcing them to delay launch.

Specifically, NASA said testing of the telescope element and spacecraft element demonstrated that each system individually meets their requirements. A review board recently determined, however, that more time is needed to test and integrate the components together. Once that is done, environmental testing will be conducted at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems in Redondo Beach, California.

Permalink to story.

I am starting to think there is a scheme for sucking money with this. It cannot possibly be delayed so much after we saw pictures of it being ready and vibration and noise testing already... something is fishy and needs to be investigated and those responsible for the delays put in jail.

All of which points to the need for a new & improved space shuttle in order to bring new devices into orbit and continue to maintain and improve the Hubble telescope until the new one is in orbit, and then there is no reason why the Hubble can't be maintained for closer studies. Think NASA, THINK!!!! I wonder if our buddies at Space X have a telescope up their sleeves .........

On one hand you want them to get this right but on the other hand hurry up already or it will be obsolete. Like space travel, this should be privatized. I'm wondering if the bureaucracy of NASA is the problem.

Well considering when they put the Hubble up there, turned it on and it was defective, it was lucky there was a Shuttle that could bring the fix and install it. No shuttle anymore, poor USA rocketry except for ballistic missiles and their like, I'd be worried too.
Decades long cost-overruns and delays are a little much though.
Then you think after all this work, it could go 'poof' if the rocket explodes, which can and does happen.

Given the current political climate that has basically tossed science in the trash, I am surprised they have not yet cancelled the program.

More waiting. This has been a task for me, I've been to baltimore 3 times to see the progress. Guess we're still waiting.

Back