Resolved Nasty virus; cannot open any program... (Win7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm on Windows 7 x64.

I installed a program and received trojan alerts from Windows Defender and Avira Antivir, but I followed Defender's advice and rebooted my computer like a fool. Now I cannot open any .exe file. I can't even scan for viruses! I tried logging into safe mode, disabling all non-MS services and all startup items, yet I still cannot open any program. I receive the following message when I (or Windows at startup) try to open something: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

I am quite dumbfounded, as I never had to deal with a virus that wouldn't let me open ANYTHING.

Does anybody have some advice? Thanks a bunch!

If you can get into the system, try doing a System Restore: System Restore uses a feature called System Protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer.

Follow the steps found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

There are also screen shots to help you through.

Let me know what the status is after you have done this.

This is the reason we no longer turn off system Restore at the beginning of malware cleaning=- sometimes it's the only way to get back into the system. Hopefully the process was turned on. Restore points are created by the system at intervals and in addition, you can create your own restore points.

If you can get into the system, try doing a System Restore: System Restore uses a feature called System Protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer.

Follow the steps found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

There are also screen shots to help you through.

Let me know what the status is after you have done this.

This is the reason we no longer turn off system Restore at the beginning of malware cleaning=- sometimes it's the only way to get back into the system. Hopefully the process was turned on. Restore points are created by the system at intervals and in addition, you can create your own restore points.

Thank you, I already tried that, but I only kept one restore point at a time and restoring the only one I had did nothing :( In the future be sure I'll save more space for the restores!

What can you do? If nothing, you'll have to do a repair or reinstall.

About Restore Points: if you are so pressed for 'space' that you can only keep one restore points at a time, you need an external hard drive. There is no way you can decide correctly which restore point to keep! A restore point should be set before every new download or install, or any other function that could make a system dysfunctional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back