NEC introduces the extraordinarily wide CRV43 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

For those among us who aren’t suffering from the economic destitution, NEC has unveiled a new display with an estimated street price of $7,999. Setting the price aside for a moment, the monitor is pretty impressive. I imagine it’d make for an awesome viewing experience – as one might expect from a 43” 32:10 (2880x900) display.

NEC’s beastly monitor features a 200cd/m² brightness, .02ms rapid response, 10,000:1 contrast ratio, wide color gamut with 100% sRGB coverage and 99.3% Adobe RGB coverage, DVI-D and HDMI 1.3 input, USB 2.0 connectivity, and front panel controls with an on-screen GUI for configuring advanced display parameters. It also ships with a three-year parts and labor warranty, including the backlight.

The monitor is meant to see use in several industries including professional graphics, higher education, government, and financial. It will be available for shipment this July. If your wallet can handle the brag-fest that is the CRV43, you may be interested in Kingston’s 12GB kit of RAM for a measly 1,400 bones.

Permalink to story.

guessing the RAM suggestion was more ment to comment on the price of the RAM as well, and that if you could afford this beast of a monitor, you could probably afford just about anything for your computer.

could you imagine games on this?
you'd probably have to write a mod just to get to use the entire screen though.

im taking bets on when Supersmashbrada has one (or two) of these LOL :)

I think he'd have to stack them vertically! That would bring the aspect ratio down to a "measly" 2.0:1:0 (still not even 16:9)!

Although, that might be just the thing to watch "Lawrence of Arabia" with.

That was "Super Cinemascope" or some such nonsense @ 2.70:1.00 :rolleyes:

Based on contrast ratio and response time #s, this looks like it uses DLP technology. It's two WS DLP displays stitched together (16:10 * 2 horizontally = 32:10). The problem with DLP is the spinning color wheel causing rainbow artifacts. Google it, but in short it's because only one primary color (R, G, B, sometimes W) is shown at any point in time, quickly alternating between them.

Can you rotate it!? ...sorry! had to ask the stupid question! hahaha

Yeah this has been displayed before by Alienware I believe. Not sure which company came up with the original version

Heh, you'd probably need two of those GTX 295s that ASUS showcased over at Computex.
I believe they were called limited Mars edition and that only 1000 would be built.

Though I still don't think you'll need those 12GB of DDR3, but you would definitely need a Core i7 @ 4GHz to make use of the GPUs.

I wonder what 800x600 would look like on this screen? would it auto stretch right accross the screen? although this must have more problems than good, yeah its cool and you get bragging rights but you now have to buy a bigger desk, spend an insane amount on the computer to power it and i bet all software and games do not support that resolution. But, if someone was to give me one for free, I wouldn't say no

burty117 said:
I wonder what 800x600 would look like on this screen? would it auto stretch right accross the screen? although this must have more problems than good, yeah its cool and you get bragging rights but you now have to buy a bigger desk, spend an insane amount on the computer to power it and i bet all software and games do not support that resolution. But, if someone was to give me one for free, I wouldn't say no

yeah, and the size of the paper for the printer!

Well, many people are using two monitors now with an extended desktop. I have two 27" Samsungs which would give a total resolution of 3840X1200 I guess. But games only play on one monitor at a time. Still, for viewing a lot of data apps at the same time this could be good! Its only a matter of time until something like that is standard I'll wager.

captaincranky said:
im taking bets on when Supersmashbrada has one (or two) of these LOL :)

I think he'd have to stack them vertically! That would bring the aspect ratio down to a "measly" 2.0:1:0 (still not even 16:9)!

Although, that might be just the thing to watch "Lawrence of Arabia" with.

That was "Super Cinemascope" or some such nonsense @ 2.70:1.00 :rolleyes:

Saw one at CES this year, I want one yes. I laughed really hard at your bathroom mirror comment btw.

I could see myself buying it if it were around 4-5k ish, 7k though, pshhh.

2880x900 resolution for 8k $ is quite laughable, mostly because there is absolutely no software to make use of this BS, and 900 horizontal line is obsolete. Makes sense to pay a couple hundred dollars for two monitors with really good resolution and you end up with perfect viewing experience, perfect usability, and twice the usable display area for only 5% of the money NEC is asking.

I think its the crazy aspect ratio that's crazy, but the resolution is something I also thought about.

I'd love to do research with a monitor like this..could have everything in front of me...but I guess the same works (and is a heck of a lot cheaper) with a dual screen setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back