NEC intros a pair of top-tier 24" displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

NEC has introduced a new pair of MultiSync LCD monitors to the US market, following their release in Japan. Making use of in-plane switching (IPS) panel technology, both the LCD2490WUXi2 and LCD2490W2 are geared toward pro-level image editing.

Each monitor has a 24-inch 1900x1200 display with a 1000:1 contrast ratio, a brightness of 320 cd/m² and 96.7% coverage of the sRGB color range. Additional features include auto luminance control with X-Light Pro, ColorComp and AmbiBright technologies, internal programmable 12-bit LUTs and a 4-way adjustable base. Both ship with a 4-year parts and labor warranty (backlight included).

From where I’m sitting, the only difference between the two is that the LCD2490W2 offers a color calibration solution. As such, its asking price is $1,299, which compares to the LCD2490WUXi2’s $1,099.

Permalink to story.

I would have to choose an LG Flatron over one of these any day of the week. The resolution is full hd, and the dynamic contrast ratio is 50,000:1 on both of mine. All of mine offer color calibration software included and only set me back $300 each. LG Flatron W2453V-PF

It may be a little hard to find as I have had mine almost a year, but if you can get your hands on one or 4, they are WELL worth it.

Meh, normal price range for a pro monitor. If you are editing pictures or video for living, overpaying a grand for saving time on accurate color rendition will pay for itself in a week. What surprises me though is the degree of the color gamut coverage. A bit low for the price. I've seen better from other manufacturers.

$1000 are you nuts??? i could buy 5 24" monitors from dell fro that much.

You people don't get it - This is an IPS screen.

The colors on your cheapo TN and MVA panels do not stay true enough for professional graphics work, especially at different angles. A *good* PV panel is a more affordable substitute (most LCDs are "crappy" TN), but spending $1000 on something that you'll use for years and actually displays true color at any reasonable viewing angle is a good business investment, considering these are for professionals.

Guest said:
$1000 are you nuts??? i could buy 5 24" monitors from dell fro that much.

Just check what pro monitors cost:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=6559&shs=&at=Screen+Size_24%22&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Scroll down to the middle of the page or so. These are pro monitors and will pay for themselves very quickly. True color rendition is paramount for professional graphics work. Obviously, it doesn't COST that much to produce them, but the research and limited target group drive the prices up.

Would be interesting with some info on exactly what panel it is, so prices could be compared to for example Eizo coloredge screens etc that use the same panel (if they do)

For you that ask how anyone in their right mind would pay $1000 for this screen
I ask you how you can pay anything for your TN screen, they are just dreadful IMO
I don't do much professional video work but I still much prefer my Eizo S2000 (S-MVA panel) to other cheaper panels, and while it didn't cost a grand it was still not too far off a lill over 2 years ago...

Per Hansson said:
Would be interesting with some info on exactly what panel it is, so prices could be compared to for example Eizo coloredge screens etc that use the same panel (if they do)

For you that ask how anyone in their right mind would pay $1000 for this screen
I ask you how you can pay anything for your TN screen, they are just dreadful IMO
I don't do much professional video work but I still much prefer my Eizo S2000 (S-MVA panel) to other cheaper panels, and while it didn't cost a grand it was still not too far off a lill over 2 years ago...

Well, TN panels have their use - gaming. They have the best response time of all three types, which is, arguably, one of the most important factors in gaming. Plus the vast majority of users are completely oblivious to the different technologies and, most likely, will not be able to tell the difference between panels right off the bat.

Still too expensive for me sadly, although I'm sure it's worth it for professionals. I really hate the brightness and poor colour since I switched from my previous CRT monitor to a Samsung 2232BW. I guess the majority of non-professionals don't notice or care about the problems with TN panels, whilst professionals are willing to shell out for the best quality possible, so you end up with dirt cheap, but horrible TNs for general consumers, and ultra-high priced IPS for pros, with no middle ground for discerning non-professional users. I'd also quite like a 16.9 since I also use my PC as a television, which is also highly unlikely to be available in an IPS model.

Sounds like NEC has released an upscale version of last year's HP LP2475W. I'd love the hardware 12-bit LUT but I can't afford to play in NEC's sandbox. I'll just have to make do with the much less expensive -- but still very high quality -- HP monitor.

Thanks for the info, I knew there was more to the story, I had never heard of TN, MVA, or S-MVA before but I am a gamer and it was nuts for me is what I meant. ;)
My current LG is a 2ms, 1680 by 1050 max (and it's what I use) so NO it was not one of the mega-cheapos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back