Need a 2.4 ghz amd cpu that fits 462 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am trying to upgrade my Pavillion's processor but cannot get a straight answer on what will fit and work. I need a minimum 2.4 ghz CPU that will fit into a 462 socket. my specs are HP Pavilion 061/ Model: PL382AA-ABA A706N /
Motherboard Make: ASUSTek Computer INC. / Motherboard Model: Kelut and my current processor is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.1Ghz. It works fine but I need an upgrade to handle new games we are trying to play. I am new to the upgrading game! Would appreciate any advice on which processor to buy. Thanks.

You will have great difficulty getting the performance you intend with the HP 061, and it could get costly as you will be paying to learn.

im afraid you are out of luck. the fastest of the 462 (socket A) was the Athlon XP/Thunderbird that ran at 2.33. and you will be hard pressed to find on of those. they were the +3200 variety. if you are looking for the fastest doer you can get for (and check MB compatibility) the cores you sre looking for are K7 (Argon)

K75 (Pluto/Orion)
Thunderbird
Palomino
Thoroughbred A/B
Barton/Thorton

Thanks to you both. Maybe the best financial move is to just upgrade to a new system. Just to be clear, red1776, should I explore/look for those K7 cores? but I will still have limited performance..correct? Thank you again for the help.

Thanks to you both. Maybe the best financial move is to just upgrade to a new system. Just to be clear, red1776, should I explore/look for those K7 cores? but I will still have limited performance..correct? Thank you again for the help.

the short answer is yes. you will play hell finding one and it will be about a billion transistors short, :) put your dollars into a new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back