Need a New Gaming Keyboard: Suggestions Please

Route44

Long story short I currently have an older Microsoft Windows keyboard that I am forced to use at this time because my smaller generic one died and I had been given this current one from a friend. The problem is the keys are "soft" in that there is a lot of give before the keys engage and often they don't. Writing out a paper is one thing, but using your abilities in a game like League of Legends but with delayed response is another.

Anyway...
1. I don't have a budget because I don't know what to look for but I do know that I don't need the latest and greatest with all the so-called bells and whistles pro-model. I play games but almost exclusively RPGs other than League.

2. I'd like it wired if possible.

3. Back-lit too, again if possible.

Thanks.

What's your budget for a keyboard?
I'd suggest checking some mechanic keyboards. They have very comfortable click feeling. You know exactly when the key will work. And almost all of them are with backlit.
If you don't like mechanical keyboards, check out the membrane one or a keyboard with laptop based keyboard switches. There are plenty of models for every budget.
And again with the exact budget, I can recommend some models.

I suggest you check walmart first, last time I was in there they have some good mechanical keyboards.
https://www.walmart.com/search?query=mechanical+keyboards&redirect=false
If you don't have really big hands I suggest this keyboard below.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ENHANCE-...Backlight-Colors-Works-with-PC-Games/54065673
This is what I have, even as I type this message, its just absolutely perfectly.
(minus the big hands I have)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech...hguid=63c78e8d-be5-1672c4aedf0746&athena=true

After posting this I have since done a good amount of researching and I can be more definitive with what I am looking for.

1. My budget would be anywhere from $50 to $85 and maxed at a $100 but like I said in my OP I don't need all the bells and whistles.

2. Wired mechanical keyboard and if possible backlit. However, I don't need/want an RBG board. Also, this must function as an office board I.e. typing, ect.

3. My hands are medium sized but I suffer from what is known as general tremors (also known as essential tremors). My hands shake uncontrollably that is noticeable especially when holding something. It is genetic. Anyway, at times fingers will move off of keys while gaming when I don't mean to do so or my hands will lower and hit keys when I didn't mean to. I have lost count how many times I pressed the Teleport key in League right in the middle of battle. I am thinking MX keys can help me avoid this problem as they require more definitive pressure. Is my thinking on the matter correct or not?

After posting this I have since done a good amount of researching and I can be more definitive with what I am looking for.

1. My budget would be anywhere from $50 to $85 and maxed at a $100 but like I said in my OP I don't need all the bells and whistles.

2. Wired mechanical keyboard and if possible backlit. However, I don't need/want an RBG board. Also, this must function as an office board I.e. typing, ect.

3. My hands are medium sized but I suffer from what is known as general tremors (also known as essential tremors). My hands shake uncontrollably that is noticeable especially when holding something. It is genetic. Anyway, at times fingers will move off of keys while gaming when I don't mean to do so or my hands will lower and hit keys when I didn't mean to. I have lost count how many times I pressed the Teleport key in League right in the middle of battle. I am thinking MX keys can help me avoid this problem as they require more definitive pressure. Is my thinking on the matter correct or not?

Okay, so I consider a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue or Cherry MX Brown. Both have something like action confirmation. I mean that you feel when the separate key is pressed and activated and when it's not. So that will allow avoiding misclicks.
And to stay in your budget $50-$85 I'd suggest two models:
1) HyperX Alloy FPS
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823455012&ignorebbr=1
2) G.Skill RIPJAWS KM570
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823828007&ignorebbr=1 - this one is on MX Brown, but this model has MX Blue option. Choose what you want.

The hyperx looks like pure trash, make no mistake about it, but this keyboard has better accuracy than g.skill.
Which is pretty surprising but I wouldn't doubt it if its coming from kingston.

Okay guys got a Hyper X Alloy FPS mechanical keyboard that is compact and solidly built with Cherry MX Brown mixed keys. Nice red colored LED keys by the way. However, I found the keys way too sensitive as I press keys with the slightest touch and it causes havoc while gaming. I hate these shakes in my hand. Any other suggestions? I am going to try to test them out in a local store. Again, I don't need a large keyboard but something in a medium size. Sorry, don't mean to be a pain about this and I want you to know I really do appreciate your help. Thanks.

=/
Although I recommend against mechanical keyboards.
Try to get use to it over time, if you are a fast typer try to slow it down abit.
When I bought my logitech keyboard I had to do that recently and its all good.
I was coming from an hp media keyboard and I mash the keys alot when I type. >_>

c04433131.png

Last edited:
Okay guys got a Hyper X Alloy FPS mechanical keyboard that is compact and solidly built with Cherry MX Brown mixed keys. Nice red colored LED keys by the way. However, I found the keys way too sensitive as I press keys with the slightest touch and it causes havoc while gaming. I hate these shakes in my hand. Any other suggestions? I am going to try to test them out in a local store. Again, I don't need a large keyboard but something in a medium size. Sorry, don't mean to be a pain about this and I want you to know I really do appreciate your help. Thanks.

Sounds like mechanical keyboards aren't for you. Read this: http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Basically, stay away from red. Brown is similar in feel but a little quieter. Blue may be better but I cannot stand the 'clickity' sound myself so I would make sure you hear it before you buy it. If you were to go for mechanical, maybe a black switch? However, those are harder to find. I found one on Amazon by Cherry but it was for $115 without any lighting with boring 'office' style, assuming any of that matters to you. Good luck.

=/
Try to get use to it over time, if you are a fast typer try to slow it down abit.
I was coming from an hp media keyboard and I mash the keys alot when I type. >_>

c04433131.png
I did not fall into the hype early for mechanical keyboards. I bought a G710+ Brown from Walmart (just like you said) on clearance for $50 over a year ago. I fell in love with it and decided to buy a red switch for the office. I ended up getting the Gigabyte Force K83 which is a red switch and I absolutely love it. I actually prefer the red switch over the brown and since I type more at work (CAD) it's more useful at there. Mechanical isn't for everyone but it's definitely for me.

=/
Well, yeah. Mechanical keys are very specific after other keyboards. Maybe, you should try low profile mechanical keyboard from Corsair, k70 modification as I remember.
It is quite and more like a membran keyboard.

Well, yeah. Mechanical keys are very specific after other keyboards. Maybe, you should try low profile mechanical keyboard from Corsair, k70 modification as I remember.
It is quite and more like a membran keyboard.

You show me an affordable keyboard that works for my needs.
*its not butt ugly,
*wireless
*great "but not shitty on battery life"

I'll consider buying it before fall starts up in october.
As it stands right now, this keyboard I have is fine, although its abit too small for my big hands.
It gets things done really quickly surprisingly

Last edited:
Back