Need a new monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCE

I need a new monitor. I don't want to spend too much. It should be at least 19" and should support 1280 x 1024 at a good refresh rate - 100 Hz would be the sweet spot. I'll be using it for gaming and I also do a fair bit of image editing, and use CAD type software. Oh, no fish tank monitors :p I think a flat screen CRT is the way to go, but I have no idea what brand/model to get. Please tell me your suggestions, people :D

Sony or NEC. Btw I think your a bit lost on the whole Hz refresh rate... 100Hz isnt really "better" then 60Hz. It may be easier on your eyes, but I wouldnt really be [if i may say without being rude] that "stuck up" about getting a moniter that supports a 100Hz refresh rate.

Not that a Sony or NEC moniter wouldnt :D

I'm a Viewsonic guy myself.....love 'em to death. They're a bit pricier but they hold up well and are excellent for gaming and CAD and imaging both. My current model is a PS790....19" and a few years old but it's great. I'll see if I can find some comparable models and prices for you.

I agree with what agissi's saying on the refresh.

BTW, check out this Viewsonic at Newegg. I think you'll like it and the $184 price tag isn't bad at all.

I have to disagree with Agissi's view on refresh rate. Have any of you ever tried viewing anything larger than 800x600 @ 60Hz? It will make your eyes bleed and give you a headache that will make you want to drill holes in your head. Higher refresh rates reduce eyestrain, especially at higher resolutions. If you don't think eyestrain is bad, just wait about ten years when you are fitted for the trifocals.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the recommendations.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Btw I think your a bit lost on the whole Hz refresh rate... 100Hz isnt really "better" then 60Hz. It may be easier on your eyes, but I wouldnt really be [if i may say without being rude] that "stuck up" about getting a moniter that supports a 100Hz refresh rate.

Not that a Sony or NEC moniter wouldnt :D

You've gotta be kidding, maybe my eyes are heaps sensitive because they bleed after half an hour of sitting in front of a 60 Hz monitor. 85 Hz is acceptable, I wouldn't go below it.

Originally posted by iCE
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the recommendations.

You've gotta be kidding, maybe my eyes are heaps sensitive because they bleed after half an hour of sitting in front of a 60 Hz monitor. 85 Hz is acceptable, I wouldn't go below it.

You guys are right....sorry about the misunderstanding. I was agreeing with Agissi in the fact that you don't need to get to 100 Hz. Yes, anything below 85 is hell.

i dont know anythin abt 85 bein hell coz 75 seems to works pretty fine for me at 1024*7 resolution..in fact i cudnt use above 75 coz of the drivers of s3 prosavage DDR card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back