Need advice on buying memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have is GA-M59SLI-S5 Motherboard, and I have 2x cosair memory stick -- CM2X512A-6200 (which total of 1GB memory).. I think it acts like dual thing. I do want another 1GB ram. My question is here is should I buy 2 stick like what I have currently on my motherboard or just buy 1 stick of ram (total of 1GB) or what your advice?

Daryl.

You want dual channel if your motherboard supports it. See what the specs are for your board and get the best ram for the recommended specs, so you might want 2x512 in dual channel.

Because your mobo has 4 ram slots and supports dual channel ram, I suggest you get another 2x512 sticks of the same ram you already have. That way you can still run all your ram in dual channel mode.

Regards Howard :)

While most motherboards that have 4 slots can accomdate the extra RAM, in general it is better to stick to 2 sticks of ram of higher capacity. The extra sticks on some motherboards might draw a little too much current. Try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, get 2 sticks of 2gb a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back