Need advice on router-buy

chrissof

Hi spotties,my son is having a hard time doing his LAN-sessions with four or more friends,is my d-link 300 wlan router reaching its limits?if so,what should I buy to keep the kids smiling?
thanks

LAN-sessions
so I assume all players are directly attached to your D-link one way or another AND that the game is also on one of those systems.

Wired connections will do much better than wifi and allow much higher transfer rates than wifi. Remember the weakest link in a chain? That applies to Ethernet connections too - - the slowest adaptor in the path will control the bandwidth.

If the boys are all attached to your router at home (ie they are not trying Internet games host on some web server), then the capability of each PC's adaptor (wired or wifi) will limit the bandwidth seen on that PC. The router will be of little or no consequence.

Internet connections however have several adaptors in the path:
ISP=>Modem->router->wired & wifi connections.
If the boys are accessing games beyond the ISP (ie the left side), then even the ISP can control bandwidth using what is known as QoS.

SO; Where is the game located and where are all the players?

Hi jobeard,tha game played is minecraft,one of the laptops used as server and playing machine.the router is at the basement,sons room two stories up,concrete with steel armor in between.

hi jc713,speed is 32000 through that d-link cable wise,wlan speed is almost 20000 on my sons laptop using speed.io to measure.they say games run very laggy.can other routers handle that amount of traffic better?with better playability of online or LAN based games?

thanks for replies

sons room two stories up,concrete with steel armor in between
You have a VERY adverse situation with that steel plate - - wifi doesn't like it at all.

I would consider an EoP device like this to get Ethernet into another room.

At the far end, just a a switch (for wired connections) or a wifi router for local room access.

Due to MC using java and running on a laptop, I think this is where your lag problem partly comes from. An wired switch would help with LAN party speed especially as your son is hosting his own server. Power management might well be interfering with server performance. I would run such a server on a desktop at the very least.

That´s a good idea,dikbozo,haven´t come up with that.I´ ll just offer my machine as server next time and see what happens.thanks

On the server, run the taskmgr, click on the Performance Tab and then the
Resource Monitor button at the bottom (need admin password).

Click on the Overview tab and leave all items collapsed.

You can now watch CPU, Disk, Network and Memory usage all at the same time.

Thx jobeard,will monitor it next time there is a session.and decide afterwards whether or not a new router is needed. Dankeschoen - (german for thanks a lot)

Back