Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

Legoflamb

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with something?

Basically I'm trying to sort out having some automatic messages pop up on the computers in the public IT room where I work as we're having problems with usage and restrictions so we want to be able to tell the public easily what they can and can't do especially as they seem to have complete disregard for the signs that are up everywhere e.g. no eating/drinking etc....

The computers are all on a simple LAN (I think), but after a quick google I had a lot of confusing stuff all trying to promote intranet programs etc....

I'm fairly savvy, just want a push in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Can't give you the details (as i've never used it myself) but you might conider using the Windows Alerter Service.
> It was intended to set administrative alert pop-up messages to machine on a network
> You need to assure the Alerter Service is Enabled on each machine (by default it's Disabled)
> YOU MUST BE CAREFUL that your External firewall has the alerter service port closed!! (you'll have to look up the port number. i dont recall it) BECAUSE:
===> SPAMMERS on outside networks used to send messages to users on internal networks by spamming messages to the open port used by Alerter Service

But if that port remains DISABLED at the WAN interface level, i think it shouldn't be a problem

you might add a logon script that uses

NET SEND logonID "some kind of message ..."​
it uses port 138

instead of logonID , you can also use the systemName

I must admit I'm struggling I'm reading about the alterter thing but can't find how you just make a simple message pop up on the screen when it starts and I have no idea how to do a logon script I'll have a look on google now.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back