Need computer help asap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda long and might be hard to explain clearly, but here goes...

So every time i come home to visit I always get bombarded with computers that need to be fixed. Right now im working on little brothers computer that has been sitting in a box for the last 6 months. I set it all up and power it on. It turns on but there is no video and the light on the monitor is amber. so I grab my moms computer to use for swapping parts since hers runs fine and they are similar setups with the only differnce being differnt mobo makers and one has an athlon and the other a duron (both are socket 462).

So I start by taking the motherboard speaker since my brothers didnt have one. I plug it in and hear a very faint series of long beeps so I think the RAM is bad. I take the ram from my moms computer and throw it in my brothers and still hear the same beep code. so i continue on by swapping out the proc, video card and power supply. Still nothing. So, thinking its my brother's motherboard, I try putting his proc, ram and video card in to my moms computer one at a time. Each time I swap something and power it on I get the same no video and an amber light on the monitor. So now im stumped because if my brothers motherboard was bad, his proc, ram and video card should have worked with my moms motherboard. So I put my moms computer back together to make sure it still works, go to power it on and sure enough now it wont turn back on. AAAHH!! I get the same no video and amber light on the monitor, but hers isn't giving me any beep codes (yes i reconnected her mobo speaker). So now ive been spending the last hour swapping around procs, ram, video cards (neither have on board), and power supplies trying to find a combo that will turn on one of the computer, but nothing seems to work.

So now I have two computers that wont turn on. Im thinking that something from my brothers computer must have been fried and in the process of swapping around parts, it took other parts with it. There is another computer here I can take parts from but am afraid that I will end up with 3 computers that wont turn on.

Any thoughts or ideas?? Hope this all made sense.

Thanks guys!

Hello, allan_h, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, see here for a guide to beep codes. If you can match your codes to one on the list that corresponds to your pc's bios then you can diagnose what part is faulty. Remember, even no beep is a beep code. It may be that the graphics was fried and it took out both pc's but look at the beep codes list and see what it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back