Need help convincing

My family is willing to spend 500USD on a new PC for me. I already have a gpu(1660 ti), but they keep denying my knowledge on PC parts. I have informed them that ryzen CPUs all have the same socket, and 90% of the AM4 motherboards can support any processor. They keep turning me down on any partlist I show them. I am wanting a computer pretty good at video editing, but also useful for casual games. The only parts I need are CPU, Mobo, ram, and maybe SSD. Preferably a cpu that has a stock cooler too(ie not ryzen 1700x or 1800x)

It may be a case that your family are just unfamiliar with the brand AMD, which is not surprising seeing how so many TV adverts play the 'Intel jingle'.

But you can always try showing these prices:

AMD Ryzen 2600 retail version (I.e. comes with a stock cooler) - $120

MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 motherboard - $75

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 - $75

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB - $130

So all in, that comes to $400, saving your family $100. Then show the nearest Intel equivalent, I.e. 6 core, 12 thread CPU 3.4 - 3.9 GHz.

Intel Core i7-6800K - $320

The rest of the items could be sourced for the Intel platform at the same price. Yes one can purchase a 6 core Intel CPU for less than $320:

Intel Core i5-9400F - $155

But it's still more money that the Ryzen 2600. Then to help show that a CPU that can cope with lots of threads is best for video editing, show them the following:

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-for-video-editing/ - old but shows that more cores is better
https://www.techsiting.com/best-processors-for-video-editing/ - note the number of Ryzen chips suggested

Ultimately though, the people paying the bill get the final say, so if they want an Intel system, then that's what you'll have to go with. It'll be fine, of course, but not as good as using the 2600 (which is one of the best CPUs AMD have produced, for the money, for a very long time).

My family is willing to spend 500USD on a new PC for me. I already have a gpu(1660 ti), but they keep denying my knowledge on PC parts. I have informed them that ryzen CPUs all have the same socket, and 90% of the AM4 motherboards can support any processor. They keep turning me down on any partlist I show them. I am wanting a computer pretty good at video editing, but also useful for casual games. The only parts I need are CPU, Mobo, ram, and maybe SSD. Preferably a cpu that has a stock cooler too(ie not ryzen 1700x or 1800x)

Gather some benchmarks from credible sources and put together a presentation showing the advantage of an equally price AMD system over the Intel system. Make sure to include sources. With the added cost of the CPU, CPU cooler and motherboard, the AMD system should be much cheaper. If the opinion of professionals won't convince them, nothing will. If your family doesn't care about saving money, give them a $500 AMD build that beats the Intel system in performance. Something like the 3600 (which I just saw on sale for $175) won't loose to an i5 9400F in gaming and it will stomp it in everything else.

Last edited:
Back