need help for transfer of windows from one hd to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

senavis

i have a 40gb harddisk..now i have bought a 80gb harddisk...

i have installed windows xp with sp2 and many other programs in my old harddisk...

what i need is that there is any way so i can copy the working windows xp from my 40gb hd to the new 80gb hd without the new installation...something like file transfer....i want everything in my 80gb hd so that i can use the other for backup...

thanks

I would suggest you use the old HD for your operating system and the newer HD for backup. Just change the jumper on the new HD to slave and install it in your machine. You can then add all your important stuff to the newer drive and that would be a bit safer if your HD crashed.

You can use Acronis trueimage / Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.

Easy interface, well to understand. This is the tool i use.

Make sure you make the recovery disks. The recovery disks provide you a bootable toolkit which can copy/resize/remove/check harddisks and partitions.

Follow 6swans' suggestion unless your old drive is old or malfunctioning. In such case I would suggest using some back up software like norton ghost to create an image which you can later deploy onto the new drive. That should work fine with IDE drives. If you're going SATA it might get a bit more complex, but is it the case?

Also, if you don't want to pay for the back up soft (I don't know good and free winblows software for that...) and happen to know a Linux geek willing to work on Windows, then maybe he can "dd" your old drive to the new one. Carefulness with using dd is strongly suggested though.

hard drive type

Is it a maxtor or a Western dig?
Most of the manufacturers have cds that will allow you to move your partition to a new drive.
Ghost is my favorite way to do it.
All you need is a 98 boot disk (yes 98) which can be created with any 98 machine.
A copy of GHost.exe
After you boot with the 98 boot disk put the ghost disk in .
Run ghost.exe
It will bring up an interface to allow you to choose your
Original drive
and your
destination drive.
As long as the new drive is blank Ghost will not allow you to write over your older drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back