Need help with NOT RECEIVING FROM LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, new here and appreciate any assistance you can give me.

I have windows xp home edition on my main computer. I am trying to add my wife's laptop (windows 2000 pro) onto the Sprint High Speed modem (DSL).

I picked up a Hawking 10/100 card for the laptop as it did not have a card already. I also picked up an SMC Ethernet Unmanaged Switch 5 port 10/100mbps.

I did the install of the Card into the laptop and did the driver installs that were on the install CD.

I hooked up my Switch (sales guy at Microcenter said that is what i needed) and I get my normal computer onto the internet just fine. I am trying to get the laptop onto the internet. When I check network setting/properties it shows that the card is working properly BUT it is sending data but NOT RECEIVING data.

I don't have a network at home, I just tried to plug the DSL into slot 1, computer A into slot 2 and laptop into slot 3
Computer A is working great, laptop not connecting to the internet.

What do I need to do to get this laptop to connect to the internet? Do i need a router instead of a switch? Will the switch do it?

Please be as detailed as possible, I've been up all night trying to figure this thing out and have no idea what else to do besides toss the laptop out the window.

Thanks everyone!!

Chad

dojosensei said:
I picked up a Hawking 10/100 card for the laptop as it did not have a card already. I also picked up an SMC Ethernet Unmanaged Switch 5 port 10/100mbps.

What do I need to do to get this laptop to connect to the internet? Do i need a router instead of a switch? Will the switch do it?
Sorry Chad, you should use a ROUTER, not a switch. The primary features you
get are NAT protection of the LAN side systems and DHCP to manage the IP
settings. Without BOTH of these, you have to manage all the systems yourself
AND get multiple IP addresses from your ISP. The router will simplify your life
significantly :)

Just to round out your knowledge of LANs, you can purchase a WiFi Router now,
ignore the WiFi setup and just hardware whatever you have. Then later when/if
you get a laptop, you can get into the router and enable the WiFi.

see this post for some pro/con on routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back