Need new laptop - what configuration?

I'm tired of having a laptop that can't keep up with me.

I live online, and have worked in and around the Internet industry for almost twenty years. I'm also ADD so its not unusual for me to have 10-20 browser tabs open in Chrome. Sometimes I also have Firefox open as well as I feel they have different strengths.

Other applications I use daily are: Outlook, Photoshop, FTP, Microsoft Access and Excel, as well as tons of utilities such as backup, remote access, soluto, various cloud drives, and productivity tools. Right now my computer takes 4-5 minutes to boot.

My biggest frustration is that dreaded mouse cursor circle that goes round and round making me wait. Chrome or Outlook often say 'not responding', but if I wait they come back. Here is my current configuration.

Asus N70SV, Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M. 300 GB Hard Drive.

I have the hard drive partitioned to have Programs & OS on C (82GB used), and Files on D (68GB used).

This will be for work and I'm a part owner, so I want to make a case for the laptop I need but don't want to purchase more than I need. I thought 2 drives, one 128 GB SSD the other SATA 500GB but I can't find that. Portability is not that important so I don't need a super light ultrabook, but a mobile laptop is still required.

How much RAM, which processor, buy now or wait a bit? If you hardware guys could provide some help or insight, this software girl would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Linda WW

- Forget ultrabooks. You need a standard laptop. It'll be thick and heavy, but it'll have all you need.
- 8GB RAM, x2 4GB sticks.
- Either 128GB SSD, or 500GB HDD. Ensure that the laptop has two HDD bays and just purchase the second drive separately, because as you say, not many come configured like you want. If you don't need DVD drive, most laptops accept an HDD in this slot.
- 1920x1080 15inch+ screen.
- i7 quad-core CPU.

I suggest you wait as new Intel CPU's are around the corner. 2mths max.

Do you have a preference between Dell, HP, or Lenovo? I personally like Lenovo. As for the hardware, I agree with Stickman, wait for Haswell (new Intel CPUs which are geared toward laptops), since they are right around the corner (being revealed June 1st). Also, do you need a laptop that is thin and light? Also, do you want a laptop with long battery life?

Back