Resolved Need Opinions on Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

I am looking for a good software firewall & would like some opinions.

Any recommendations ?

Also your opinion of :

ESET Smart Security Firewall

Windows -7 Firewall

Zone Alarm Pro Firewall

Thank You.

The main thing to consider about a firewall, is that it is 'bidirectional: that is, that it 'listens' to both incoming andoutgoing ports. If malware happens to get through a firewall that only 'listens' to incoming ports, it may not alert you to any traffic from malware that is coming from within the system, to access the internet:

b]Firewall[/b] (only one): Use bi-directional firewall. Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
[o]Comodo
[o]Zone Alarm

My own preference also is a stand-alone firewall. That is, not a 'suite' with all the security bundled within. It is also added security to use a router in addition to a software firewall. That will give you added protection as most or all routers have hardware firewalls.

I cannot evaluate the Eset suite firewall because although I use Nod32 for my AV, I do not use the suite with the firewall.

If Microsoft finally made the firewall in Windows 7 bidirectional, then it is likely okay. But if it is still on listening to incoming traffic, I'd pass it for one of the others.

And keep in mind- opinions are usually based on our own experience with a program.

You're welcome! I had left the thread open in case other members wanted to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back