Need some expert help with pc build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killik119

im getting a new computer, building one really. im kinda new to the building aspect, i would always buy my pcs... well i've only owned macs, eeeep.
wanting to play video games now, so making the change. now i have a budget of $2000 AU, which is about $1600 US, but the economy is alwasy changing. so if someone could help me by listing the vital parts to making a pc, keep in mind it's for gaming. and if some people could make some other helpful suggestions, ie. good quality cheap parts, parts that wouldnt work well together, etc. i appreciate any helpful feedback :D thanks guys

Nice budget by the way..... i'll help you out.

The very first thing you need to know about building gaming pc's is that
the best way to chive the ultimate gaming expirience , is by putting together
parts that are compatible with eachother. So , i recomend you to look out to the following:

*Asus Motherboard Striker Extreme.(SLI READY).
*Asus 7600GS Silent 512MB PCI-E HDTV DVI-I Video Card.
*2GB of DDR2 RAM.
*120Gb Sata Drives.
*Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz DUAL CORE.
*Pioneer DVD Burner and player.
*Water cooling Systems (any brand should do the trick).
*ATX Full tower Case. (with thermostat)
*19 inch Flatt Dell monitors
*USRobotics 7902A ethernet card
*USR 5432 MaxG Bridge (for lan party games)

i think i went pass your budget for like 2-300 US,
but thrust me with these bad boys working together
you will get a good head start.

*Intel Core2 Duo E6850 INTEL-E6850
*Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Motherboard
*Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 C4 (2x1GB) 4-4-4-12
*XFX GeForce 8600 GT Extreme 620MHz
*Hiper Type M 580W Black
*Chimei CMV946D 19in Widescreen LCD Monitor
*Sony AWG170SB2 18X DVD-RW SATA
*Samsung 250GB 7200rpm SATA II
*Logitech LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
*USB 2.0 PCI Card 5 Port
*Raidmax Ninja Case - Black
that is around $2000 AU. do you think it would work? a little less than what you've put down. any other parts i'll need? well this will be for work work aswell, so what does an ethernet card do?

killik119 said:
*Intel Core2 Duo E6850 INTEL-E6850
*Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Motherboard
*Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 C4 (2x1GB) 4-4-4-12
:grinthumb
*XFX GeForce 8600 GT Extreme 620MHz
Hmmm....would push for 8800 if you can
*Hiper Type M 580W Black
Decent enought psu, but i'd prefer a corsair 580w Modular.
*Chimei CMV946D 19in Widescreen LCD Monitor
*Sony AWG170SB2 18X DVD-RW SATA
*Samsung 250GB 7200rpm SATA II
:grinthumb
*Logitech LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
up to you
*USB 2.0 PCI Card 5 Port
No need, your P35 mobo has plenty of USB ports
*Raidmax Ninja Case - Black
As long as it provides good cooling

You also need to think about what OS you will use; Vista or XP?
8800 series are DX10 cards with plenty of oomph! as is Vista, so give it some thought.

Do no Punish me by setting Vista into those Babies.

Windows is Vista is not the right pad , my young padawan , XP microsoft release vista so soon that they forgot to set any drivers to go with him.

as of you configuration , it sounds good , BUT , the motherboard that i sugested you comes with 7.1 sound card , and all the 2.0 UsB ports that you may possibly need , plus the case shall give you a nice boost.

now remember , just because they're advanced it doesnt mean that they are compatible.
motherboards and VGA cards should be both Asus. or at least the same manufacturer.

The USRobotics Ethernet card recomended you is a 10/100/1000 gigabit card
the ones that come with any mother board are 10/100 cards.(this is only for you to take advantage of your internet connection) to achieve the maximum Speed and ping performance for online gaming.

sides of that the rest of the hardware you mentioned are also OK , just look in to the tips that i gave you wen it comes to compatibility.

And Dont worry about work , with these guys you should be ok...
also the full tower CASE , remember the name FULL TOWER CASE.
to achive the maximum cooling system you need your hardware to have enough distance between them.

**dont forget the watercooling systems**

Rolfman, nearly all new mobo's come with gigabit lan mate.
And why would you go with a Pentium D ????? They are all but extinct!
He does not have to choose the same brand mobo and gfx card either. Its probably more practical to get an Intel cpu and nvidia card or AMD cpu and gfx card, than what you suggest. Compare chipsets not actual hardware.
The 7600Gs is a pile of old crap. That would not play the newest games at a decent resolution.
He certainly does NOT need a water cooling system for a frikkin Pentium D. He'll not be overclocking if he doesn't know how to build one in the first place.

Mate i do not wish to be rude, but you have completely lead him down the wrong path here. your spec does not make sense, as you've recommended old components (considering his generous budget), and needless add-ons.

I'm pretty sure others *****ad it will agree, sorry!

The stricker extreme board is not needed. Go with EVGA, visit newegg.com and look at computer components.

Secondly visit howstuffworks.com and search how to uild a custon PC.

I am also in this process...have not set out my budget yet but the 7950GT by PNY is one of the best cards to get it has DX9. If you want Vista, which I am not inclined to get then you can go with the DX10 cards they suggested 8800 series.

This is actually very amussing....

Dear: k.jacko

I think i will never get to understand why rude people allways enjoy to end their phrases by sayng '' i dont mean to be rude '' .

Anyway my main interest is to help the guy out. if you dont know why would i go with pentium D , then just ask men and i'll gladly tell you.

Many people think that just because its new , it means that its Better.
i will give you an example:

I have 2 desktop pc's , the one dysplayed on my profile and
the other one that contains the following.

Intel pentium 4 processor at : 1.8GHZ
only 1GB of RAm
120 GB of Hard Drive
An asus VGA Card with only 128MB
and an asuss Motherboard with water cooling.

by the way the socket for the processor is the 478.
(talk about extinc)

and i can bet my House that i can RUn any PC game
at its maximum resolution , just because of the huge compatibility
between the card and the motherboard.

And please take it easy next time , this is my point of view
and i hope it recives the same level of respect , that i have given yours

Pure bull****.

Don't listen to Rolfman.

k.jacko and Rage3K are right.

It may be your point of view Rolfman, but it is misleading and uninformed. The performance benefits of a Core 2 Duo over a Pentium D are such that no matter how "compatible" your graphics card and motherboard are, the Pentium D will always be slower.

Besides, there's only one level of compatibility between graphics cards and motherboards; interface/slot type.

Just because you wasted your money on a Striker Extreme, and paired it with a disappointing Pentium D, doesn't mean everyone else should make that same mistake, and waste their money.

If you bet your house that you can do that, looks like you're in the market for a new home.

The above are so sweet recommendations. I would go for Rage and jacko recommendation xD

those recommendation really give your buck a bang!

Thanks for the backup Condor and MetalX.
Rolfman, i don't think i was being rude to you at all, i was being candid and firm. And i made my point so as not to mislead the OP any further.
Rolfman said:
just ask men and i'll gladly tell you.
Well....i did just that by addressing my post to you.
And my last sentence seems to be coming true, most people will agree with me because i think i've stated more fact than opinion.
If you re-read the OP then he stated his budget, so why spec old antiquated kit that won't meet his budget or his performance expectations, or even future-proof it?

C'mon man think it over, a water cooling solution for a Pentium D without overclocking? Whats that gonna achieve apart from a hole in your pocket. Its there to bring temps down so you CAN overclock the system.

Everything i said i stand by. If you stand by what you said then fine, start checking the property market! :rolleyes:

Dont need to stay wasting my time here ....

i am wasting time , this is the first day that technology leaves me behind

....i guess i am out Dated then .... i was just trying to save the fellow some money.
as an economist it comes with my turf.

I withdraw mi opinion...........
Still i did not apreciate the way you reffer to it as
B****it...what i said about my last PC is true.
i can run any game on that Spec.

you might want to look into it.

LOL Rolfman, you just need to be brought up to spec. The PC I suggested will likely cost cheaper than your suggested build and still blow it out of the water, besides offering similar (I daresay better) functionality. So you weren't really saving him any money, you were just getting him inferior\unnecessary hardware for a higher price. While it may be true that you can run any game on those specifications, it just doesn't give that much bang for buck as mine or others' recommended configurations. Just go to Wikipedia and check out the information on the latest Core 2 Duo series and the latest 8800 series cards and other stuff so you don't end up posting stuff that makes people want to vomit all over it. ;)
Hope to see you around mate. :)

lol rolfman is stupid, those parts / ideas you suggested would probably make him pay more in the end :haha:

Well then...

If you want to save up a few dollars you can build this list ( Made it for my friend, I built it for him and it runs BioShock at max and really really nice Frames per second ):

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
Powersupply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
RAM ( x2 ): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145566
DVD drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827101131
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140
Videocard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150171
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103046
CPU heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835101007
Thermapaste: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Total: $838 ( I don't think I added shipping cost with this, you might have to recalculate the total price :haha: )

thanks heaps guys for all the suggestions, it's making this buisiness all the more easier... at first i had NO idea about building pcs, or even the components for pcs, but now im beggining to understand. whats deffinately gonna save me money is knowing i dont need extra usb ports or a sound card, seeing as the motherboard does all that, which i didnt know :D .
with all the feedback, i'll go find the parts (probably end choosing a pc that 1 of u guys configered for me :p ) and give u guys the specs and u can let me know if it would kik *** :D ty for all the help again guys, really appreciate it

As far as buying ur Videocard that decision is up 2 u. The newest is DX10 which is most the 8800 series..Or DX9 which most game that ae out are made for...ut if your not building a GAming Rig then there is no reason to sweat the video card aspect.

With your budget you can basically afford a vast array of great parts..but thats if you plan on spending every dollar in that budget

I would personally suggest the DX9 videocards, the DX10 cards are really expensive ( last time I checked ) and most of them overheat WAY too much

@Myzz617, he IS building a gaming PC as said in post #1.

@TimeParadox, only the 8800 series is worth getting for the sheer performance benefits and the price is not too bad, you get what you pay for. It's the others like the 8600 series that are a sheer waste of money.

I just looked up the new 8800 on Newegg Rage, The price since I last checked were in the $600s now it's in the $280s :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back