Need wifi help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help a very un-computer savvy friend to make his wifi network work. He has a 2wire gateway/router working okay but it will not reach his son's bedroom. What are our options to extend the range of the network? Would it be as simple as buying an antenna and screwing it onto the PCI wifi card in his sons desktop in place of the small antenna that is now on it? Is the 2wire router crap and can we replace it with something better? Can we add something to the network? I will be grateful for all and any help.

slamtry

From personal experience probably the easiest and cheapest way is to just by a bigger better WiFi antenna for the PCI adapter. I had similar issues myself, I had a modem/router sending out a WiFi signal that barely reached my room, signal would dropout and was generally unstable. I got a new bigger antenna for my PCI adapter in my desktop and now I have a 'Very Good' connection compared to my previous 'Very Low' connection, and the antenna only set me back $25(Australian Dollars) from a local PC store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back