Neowin: A look at the new smartphones coming soon

Neowin

One of the biggest downsides of being a devoted fan of gadgets and gizmos is the cost of fuelling that addiction indulging that hobby. Most can only look on with jealous eyes at the never-ending stream of new devices that continue to flow into stores, teasing us with their superlative specs and shiny buttons. Indeed, most tech fans find themselves having to pick one device which they know they’ll probably be stuck with for a while, and that makes the choice of selecting the right one particularly important.

Nowhere is this better exemplified than with our phones. Most buyers balk at the idea of paying a few hundred dollars up front for the latest handset, rendering us willing prisoners to the captivity of a long-term contract, in return for substantial discounts on handset costs. When the most competitive deals for the best devices require some users to sign up to three-year­ contracts, it makes sense to not rush into things.

This is a particularly interesting time for two reasons. First, there’s something of a glut of users emerging from their contracts at the moment, as millions of iPhone 4 buyers – notably, those who purchased in the first few weeks and months after its June 2010 debut – find themselves looking for their next device.

But this is an especially exciting time for the rest of us because of what lies immediately ahead. Every major mobile platform will soon see a new wave of devices and updated operating systems vying for the attentions of consumers. From the next iPhone to BlackBerry 10, from Windows Phone 8 to Android Jelly Bean, from Acer to ZTE, the next few weeks and months will see the launch of an incredible range of new smartphones.

Let's take a look at what’s coming up, and why it’ll be worth the wait..

Read the rest of the article.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

Waitin' on a new WP. It's an exciting time in the mobile market.
I read something interesting in the latest WIRED that Microsoft is finally free to create products and software as they want again. They've had Department of Justice auditors in their offices for the last 9 years as a condition of the antistrust judgement years ago. I had no idea they had govt officials checking all their work and giving approval to everything, although it does explain the Zune. Hopefully the new phones and Surface tablet will be impressive.

The whole article and the poll that concludes looks like a giant commercial to WP8.It's good too see Apple has competition!... I'm not speaking about hardware.

I just want to know, are existing WP phones going to get anything besides the new start menu? Any new features that people have been longing for? IE10? ANYTHING?! I put faith in WP and this next update maybe the thing that pushes me towards a Nexus S. Why must everything be so complicated? :(

The whole article and the poll that concludes looks like a giant commercial to WP8.It's good too see Apple has competition!... I'm not speaking about hardware.

Very wise, it's probably illegal.

Back