Neowin: LG Optimus 4X HD smartphone review

Neowin

It's been a long time since LG produced a top-of-the-line Android smartphone, the last of which was the LG Optimus 2X. Despite being the first dual-core device it was quickly overshadowed in early 2011 by other devices like the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S II. Now LG is back with a direct successor to the aforementioned device, albeit after some pretty major smartphone releases from HTC and Samsung.

On paper, the LG Optimus 4X HD ticks all the right boxes for a top-end smartphone. You get one of Nvidia's powerful Tegra 3 quad-core processors, a large HD display, NFC, Android 4.0, and a refined, signature LG style. However, as we already have two behemoths on the market in the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III, it will be interesting to see if the Optimus 4X HD is in the same league.

Despite the hard edge look of the 4X HD, it's remarkably comfortable to hold thanks to the slight amount of tapering used around these edges; not as comfortable as the ergonomic HTC One X but better than you might think on initial inspection. It's reasonably thin at 8.9mm across the entirety of the device, and the tapering in that is present on the battery cover not only reduces this further in the hands but also makes it look thinner at the right angle.

Read the complete review.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

As an owner of an LG G2X I will never buy another LG phone again. They're horrible with updates (non-existent) and they're idea of customer service is to blame someone else.

I will never buy another LG Android device again, and I can't recommend them to anyone all the same.

As an owner of an LG G2X I will never buy another LG phone again. They're horrible with updates (non-existent) and they're idea of customer service is to blame someone else.

I will never buy another LG Android device again, and I can't recommend them to anyone all the same.

I completely agree you.

However, I will say this: hardware quality (not design) is better than HTC's, for instance. Just wanted to put that out there. ;)

I use the WP7 LG Opt. Quantum. And I will never buy another LG phone ever again. This phone has horrible signal pretty much need to be standing on the tower for it to work.(Im with Bell so its not the service provider). The touch screen works great some times and others just not at all. Screen quality is crap compared to most other phones. Anyone who asks I tell them stay clear of LG phones.

Back