Neowin review: Samsung Droid Charge 4G

Neowin

Verizon has never been shy to load up their portfolio with a plethora of Android. The initial stint was to help fight the iPhone, but now that Verizon has that phone on its store shelves, will they keep loading up on premium Android phones? The short answer to that question is yes, Verizon is continuing to attract high end Android phones to appease all of their customers.

On that front, Verizon sent Neowin the brand new Droid Charge to dissect. The phone represents a new age for mobile technology as it can ride on the newly created Verizon 4G network. While not the first phone on the market with 4G for Verizon (that goes to the Thunderbolt and you can read that review here), it is an early entrant into the market and is in a field of highly competitive devices and platforms.

Breaking down the Droid Charge we find Android 2.2 Froyo, a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus display with 480×800 WVGA, Samsung's TouchWiz UI, 1.0 GHz Hummingbird processor, 8 megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash, 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera for video calls, HD video recording, 2.0 GB internal storage, micro-SD card slot support with a 32 GB card included, 4G LTE, 802.11 WiFi b/g/n , Bluetooth 3.0, aGPS, HDMI-out, Mobile hotspot, and DLNA capability. To put it simply, it is a modern smartphone with all the features one would expect in a premium device.

Read the rest of the review
- This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

Specs sound like a repackaged Samsung Galaxy S except for the Super AMOLED Plus Display... >.>

"Gingerbread was developed for tablets, not phones. Guest just come here to complain these days."

You are thinking of honeycomb, gingerbread is available on phones.

peperonikiller said:
Super you can't be more wrong. Honeycomb was developed for tablets.. Gingerbread is developed for phones.

You're right. I misspoke while watching tv. I'll be more tentative next time around. Both post above are correct. Honeycomb=tablet. Froyo/Gingerbread=phones.

Guest said:
Single Core.... haha who wants that old school tech??

Agreed,a dual core would have been a nice addition.BTW I feel that the keys at the bottom are quite small(probably to make up for the large screen) and thus very inconvenient.

Back