Nest Learning Thermostat gets summer-inspired update

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Summer is just around the corner and if you have a Nest Learning Thermostat, you’ll want to make sure you get the latest update as it adds the ability to adjust its behavior to sunlight in addition to other new features. A post on the official Nest blog indicates owners of the first and second generation device will automatically receive update 3.5 over the next few days, granted the device is connected to Wi-Fi.

As mentioned above, the update will include a new feature called Sunblock that allows the device to utilize its built-in light sensor to determine when it is in direct sunlight. This will allow the thermostat to adjust the temperature accordingly, if necessary. It will activate automatically after at least one day of being in direct sunlight, the company points out.

Other new features introduced in version 3.5 include Cool to Dry, a feature that uses the device’s humidity sensor to turn on the A/C when needed. There’s also an enhanced version of Auto-Away which allows the thermostat to better learn your schedule and Auto-Tune which can help you find opportunities to save energy.

In addition to the device update, the company also announced new versions of their mobile app for Android and iOS. These updates are said to make controlling the thermostat seem more natural in addition to adding notifications for things like changing the filter or performing other maintenance.

Detailed information about each new feature is available on Nest’s website.

Permalink to story.

These thermostats are amazing. I had some of the pixels going dead in the screen. So I had warranty work done about a year after the initial purchase. They worked with me and paid for all the shipping charges. Wonderful company!

If you are capable of getting one I suggest it.

Before Nest in Florida
Summer $150 per month
Winter $80 as low as $50

After Nest in Florida
Summer $100 or less
Winter $50 as low as $30

Back